Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Casting reels?, Should I buy one?
deerhunter
Posted: Oct 05, 2018 - 12:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10322

Not being an expert fisherman and I know nothing about casting reels and rods. But I do want give them a try. I have been using a spinning rod for ages. Any tips, information, and advice would be greatly appreciated. I mostly fish for perch, bass and pike, and the occasional walleye. Should I spend my money on a casting reel and rod, or should I just stick with the tried-and-true spinning reel?

The reason I asking now is because Cabelas has their Quantum Smoke reel on sale for $60 off.
Seems like a good deal to me.

Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
Paddy
Posted: Oct 05, 2018 - 01:35 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

Just my opinion, but if you have the hours to practice it's well worth it. If your time on the water is limited, you want to make every minute count and not be p*ssing around with backlashes.

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Oct 06, 2018 - 02:49 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4685

QUOTE (deerhunter @ Oct 05, 2018 - 12:14 pm)
Not being an expert fisherman and I know nothing about casting reels and rods. But I do want give them a try. I have been using a spinning rod for ages. Any tips, information, and advice would be greatly appreciated. I mostly fish for perch, bass and pike, and the occasional walleye. Should I spend my money on a casting reel and rod, or should I just stick with the tried-and-true spinning reel?

The reason I asking now is because Cabelas has their Quantum Smoke reel on sale for $60 off.
Seems like a good deal to me.

Thanks.

Wow!, they're already SOLD OUT.

PMEmail Poster
Dangerfield
Posted: Oct 12, 2018 - 09:17 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16156

Find yourself a Daiwa with Magnetic brakes as they're not backlash proof but they're great for learning how to use a casting reel.

To be honest, backlashes are such a scare tactic for those who didn't want to pony up $$$ or bother to learn how to use a different rig. Same people complaing about manual shift transmissions and parking on a hill etc.

I can't go back to a spinning set up after purchasing a baitcaster, spinning gear feels soo cumbersome holding the line, releasing the bail and casting vs. thumb-bar engaged, hold the spool with your thumb and cast. One can be done with one hand while the other requires both.

You can really power fish with a baitcaster, that's for sure. I like to think of a baitcaster as a surgical knife, it's all about precision and accuracy, there's no control over how far a lure will travel on a spinning rod in the wind and the reaction to gain control over your cast is more difficult as the bail acts as your brakes. The baitcaster on the other hand has built in brakes that you can dial in how far you want to cast and control the braking throughout the cast with your thumb.

My suggestion would be to find someone with a baitcaster and test it out before you make a purchase. I'm happy to do it, if you're in the Barrie area.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace