Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sturgeon Lake - Oct 19/19, Last trip, smallies
Skippy
  Posted: Oct 20, 2019 - 07:26 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12923

Decided to make one last 2019 fishing trip in the kayak on Saturday.

After reviewing the forecast on my weather apps I was excited by the prospect of not having to fight the wind all day! Less excited by the temperature in the morning, but I could layer up for that.

On the water at sun up and I expected it to start slow given how cold it was to start (my car said -3c) but hoped it would the fishing would pick up as it warmed up.

Picked up 4 decent smallies mid morning - two each from two different spots that have been producing for me. One on a Vision 110 (decided to give it some additional time after reading Atillaís post), one slow rolling a single tail grub and two on soft jerkbaits. Ok - good start to the day, just after 10:30am and things are heading the right way.

Unfortunately that was it for me. Covered a lot of water, threw basically everything I could think of and did not get another bite until I got off the water at around 6pm. I couldnít find them on this day.
Ran across another kayaker just as he was launching ~ noon spoke briefly and passed on some info, ran into him coming off the water and he said the same thing - he didnít get a single bite that afternoon.

Oh well - another fishing year comes to a close for me.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
naturefan
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 - 10:23 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3236

Nice shot. Still good day on water, I think...

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 08:24 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11988

Solid fish, it's amazing how thick they get at this time of year.

If you don't mind me asking, what weather apps do you use?

Cheers, Attila

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 06:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Real nice smallie

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 07:23 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12923

All four fish were solid chunky fish. Always hope for more, but I was glad to get out because Iíll be going through withdrawals for about the next 6 straight months until I can get out for some open water pike.

Attila - my go to app has been Windy. It provides you the ability to zoom down to specific location and I have found it to be a pretty accurate indicator of the wind strength (sustained as well as gusts) and direction and can be set to show in different metrics. Free and very easy to use. Also predicts precipitation, temperatures and cloud cover out up to 10 days. I do use it up to a week out, but tend to check back as it updates often.

PMEmail Poster
MeatEater
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 - 09:38 am

Fry

Member No.: 17621

That's a beauty!

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 - 05:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11988

QUOTE (Skippy @ Oct 21, 2019 - 08:23 pm)
Attila - my go to app has been Windy. It provides you the ability to zoom down to specific location and I have found it to be a pretty accurate indicator of the wind strength (sustained as well as gusts) and direction and can be set to show in different metrics. Free and very easy to use. Also predicts precipitation, temperatures and cloud cover out up to 10 days. I do use it up to a week out, but tend to check back as it updates often.

Thanks for the information Skippy, I'll have to give it a try.

Cheers!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace