Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> G bay salmon
Longshank
Posted: Aug 06, 2019 - 06:55 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Aug 06, 2019 - 02:44 pm)
QUOTE (Longshank @ Aug 06, 2019 - 03:20 pm)

@ Harold, I never had a problem with s double uni knot yet...I would respectfully suggest you practise tying them till you get it right

But at what price??? Lost lures and lost fish!

I think it's braid to fluoro that's the worst.

never had a knot break yet flouro to braid and that my friend is on over 40 rods and reels

Read GJ's reply and as I mentioned, you need to practise and maybe loosen that drag a wee bit

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Newburg007
Posted: Aug 06, 2019 - 07:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Aug 06, 2019 - 07:20 am)
I find that the knot to a fluoro leader often slips despite my best efforts----double Uni, blood knot---spit in line, carefully cinch up etc!! I Have an aversion to using swivels to join the leader (I am not specifically referiing to salmon. A bit of 'topic drift' maybe)

There is another option that eliminates the need for the leader knot and that is to spool up with a main line flourocarbon. Seaguar AbrazX works well for downrigging. It resists abrasion from being pulled "sideways". I've used it for years without fail. Just another option.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 06, 2019 - 07:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Newburg007 @ Aug 06, 2019 - 07:43 pm)
QUOTE (Knuguy @ Aug 06, 2019 - 07:20 am)
I find that the knot to a fluoro leader often slips despite my best efforts----double Uni, blood knot---spit in line, carefully cinch up etc!! I Have an aversion to using swivels to join the leader (I am not specifically referiing to salmon. A bit of 'topic drift' maybe)

There is another option that eliminates the need for the leader knot and that is to spool up with a main line flourocarbon. Seaguar AbrazX works well for downrigging. It resists abrasion from being pulled "sideways". I've used it for years without fail. Just another option.

and a good option for sure

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Tailfin
Posted: Aug 07, 2019 - 03:34 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 100

you can stop the problem of trebles pinching the line by, replacing then with single or double hooks, never a problem again.

I only use the Uni, double Uni or Palomar knots for 90% of my fishing, never seem to need any others and never had problems in 36 years of fishing with them.

You must tie them correctly and you MUST WET the line before and as you tighten it.

PMEmail Poster
Tailfin
Posted: Aug 07, 2019 - 03:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 100

Sorry G.J. I should have read all you post twice as you have it all covered.

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Aug 07, 2019 - 06:16 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16889

Sorry, I don't understand the problem and this hot discussion about knots between the main line and the leader.... Honestly, I never had any problem with that. I just use O ring, swivel or even snap.....
Anything wrong with that? - other than unable to spool it together with the main line on the reel....? But if 3-4 ft of fluro leader is enough after the main line it shouldn't be a problem.....
(Please, note, I'm not arguing or suggesting, I'm asking)

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace