Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lazy Sundays
jam1324
Posted: Aug 26, 2019 - 07:45 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16371

Went out this Sunday with my son and a fishing buddy of mine on his boat. We slept in a little bit didn't get on the water till shortly after 6 am and headed out to see if we could do anything similar to last weeks results. Had no bites by 10 am and were considering packing it in as we watched all the other boats heading back to the harbor. The winds had been blowing in from the northwest all week and we figured the fish would be pushed down in the corner towards Wasaga a little bit even tho the winds were coming from the SE lightly on Sunday. Since the weather was beautiful and what else would be better than cruising around fishing we decided to keep fishing and try going west to see if the wind had pushed the fish that way.

My friend had been driving all morning so I offered to take over to give him a break. 5 minutes later his rod was banging really, really hard. The fish was not giving a single inch for the first 10 minutes. Being new to fishing this was literally the biggest standoff I have ever witnessed with a fish. We had left our other rods in the water on the starboard side and the fish decided he just wanted to go that direction and wouldn't come back to the port side. As soon as it saw the boat the dang thing somehow had enough energy to run out another 50 yards of line and luckily by the time we got it back to the boat it looked like it was going to the port side. We couldn't get the fish to get beside the boat for the life of us to net it. I had to hop on the tail end of the boat and scoop it with the net will hanging off the motor. I messed up really bad and managed to miss the fish and get the trebles stuck in the net. I flipped the fish into the boat as fast as I could and bent out all the hooks on that poor layman really bad! We got it tho despite all of that it took over 20 minutes! I am starting to realize how crazy fishing for salmon can really get, I had no idea.

The whole time we were reeling in that fish I kept saying how "bad" it would be to get a doubleheader right now. With all the commotion going on I missed that my rod had a fish on it too. I don't think it was for that long and I grabbed my rod but the line was slack, the fish was running at the boat or gone... I reeled in as fast as I could and caught up to it. Right at that moment, the fish turned around, I am assuming with my line in its mouth and the line snapped as soon as I started to feel the pressure. Bummer.

About 25 minutes later another rod goes off and it's my son Jacks turn. He is yelling that 'Daddy this fish is a monster' and we are laughing at him, it broke the surface about 200 feet behind the boat and my buddy Mark got a look at it and figured it was about 4 pounds or so. We are teasing my son about it a little bit as he's fighting it swearing its a whale and everyone was having a good laugh. I have a knot in my line where I had to cut it last year about 150 feet up. My son got it to that knot and then the fish wasn't having it. It pulled out of line and for the next 15 minutes my son couldn't get that knot back to the rod. He would get it right to the tip and the fish would rip line and go again over and over. We start thinking maybe he does have a whale and I start calling Mark out about his old man eyesight. Jack was telling us how bad his arms hurt and was really getting amped up. Previously his biggest battle was about 10 minutes, he was now well over 20. When he got the fish to the boat finally it stripped 100 feet off the reel and went straight down to the bottom. We cleared our gear and put the boat in neutral to help him get the fish on the boat. Landed it no problems. Jack is beside himself, his biggest salmon and toughest battle ever. About 20 minutes later we had one more rod go off that we had right at the bottom, it wasn't fighting anything special and we all figured it was a laker, Mark got it in no problems and as soon as it was getting close to the boat we realized it was a steelhead. That morning I had asked Mark if he had ever got a rainbow on a layman in all his years of fishing and he told me never once, well that changed today.

We slept in a little bit and so did the fish, it was a great day despite me figuring out the new lure I bought catches fish and losing it in the same moment. The big one is about 35 inches that my buddy got and the shorter fat one is my sons.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Toolman13
Posted: Aug 27, 2019 - 05:51 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6735

Wow, sounds like the day really picked up later on. That's exciting fishing for sure. Thanks for the report, good read

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Aug 27, 2019 - 05:59 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

Heck of a Sunday for you guys!! Thanks for sharing.

PMEmail Poster
Dinky
Posted: Aug 27, 2019 - 09:14 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 212

Great read....thank you!

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Aug 28, 2019 - 09:19 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16889

Jamie,
thanks again for another excited story!
As you mention in your previous post about your Slam experience, yes, you start to getting some fish in the boat! Nice story!
In opposite, I'm not going this well. We were out of 12 mile bay on Saturday. Trolled 5 hours in the morning, got one small whitefish.... Didn't see much marks either. Change two locations, about 2 miles apart, with no result. Then two hours evening troll, with no fish or even marking.
On the positive side we went to small bays fishing for pike and bass and got two small pikes (released) and couple of descent basses.
Interesting that total in this year on G bay we got two salmons, two whitie and one laker. Something wrong with my gear and setup I guess...

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 09:30 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

Congrats guys Looks like youv'e got them figured out ...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace