Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Salmon Spectatular, Owen Sound
sdcaller
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 03:00 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Apologies if people find my question offensive and I was not trying to cast any doubt on the leading fish.

I was just curious to know if there is a scientific way to determine a difference between a Chinook caught in Lake Ontario and one caught in Georgian Bay.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 04:13 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16371

I had the same thought as you SD, not thinking anyone did it but since reading about the whole Mike Long thing that happened in the US bass circuits through the late 90s and early 2000s I'm always worried about entering derbies because there could be cheaters. Its amazing how dishonest some people are. Only takes one bad apple to run the fun of hundreds of others. I would think through the difference in genetics and examining their stomach contents it shouldn't be to hard for the organizers to be able to tell the difference hopefully.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 05:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Grandpa Jim @ Aug 30, 2019 - 02:23 pm)
Personally, I find the inference that the leading salmon could be an illegal entry quite offensive. This tournament has been in place for many years and has safeguards in place to ensure that all entries are legitimate. To answer the question concerning one's ability to determine the difference between a Georgian Bay and Lake Ontario salmon, my response would be that a visual comparison by an individual would be meaningless. However, the Sydenham Sportsman's Club would surely have access to biological testing protocols that would ensure the integrity of the derby. Let the organizers use their discretion prior to the awards ceremony rather than voicing unnecessary doubts about the leading fish.

Well before the area was opened up to included just west of Collingwood, there were a couple of individuals that I know were caught and disqualified as they had caught the fish in the Meaford bay area. "Someone" was watching them, followed them to the tent and reported it. So there goes your inference of an illegal entry being offensive. There have been a number of other ones caught over the years, lead weights in stomach cavity etc. Pollutants in the fish would be a dead give away if they did any testing.

PM
jam1324
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 08:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16371

I wish they had the area in front of Collingwood too, I live there and it would make it much easier to participate. Next year me and the boys (a little young this year) are going to take off for a week and go camp out in Owen sound and do nothing but fish for the Derby.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 08:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

QUOTE (Grandpa Jim @ Aug 30, 2019 - 02:23 pm)
Personally, I find the inference that the leading salmon could be an illegal entry quite offensive.

People cheat in tournaments all the time. Thatís a fact! That said the quality of fish the last few years and the size of winning fish in Chantry and the Manitoulin tournament, as well as the top ten fish in both previous derbyís makes me believe this is legit. If itíd been ten years ago, Iíd say otherwise!

PMEmail Poster
magic22
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 10:02 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5838

SDC us locals and people that fish this bay often are thinking the same thing and the story behind where abd when he got it didnít add up for area and way weather has been

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Aug 31, 2019 - 12:25 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10908

I donít think the question of how would a cheater be caught is any less legit than any other question posted here.

I saw the leading salmon in the freezer and itís impressive. I see no way of visually identifying any salmon caught in GBay vs Lake Ontario but I was amazed all the silver big fish being weighed in and the leading fish is very dark with a pronounced Kype. The leading fish looks different because of it advanced spawning state compared to all the other fish being weighed in. This does not by any means means itís not legit it just leads some anglers to question itís legitimacy.
I am sure the tournament comity will do itís due diligence on any fish leading the derby including the leading lake trout.

I who did fish the tournament sucked the big zilch and am jealous I am not the one who caught the big one thatís in question. I trust in those running the tournament and I personally am not concerned with what happens with the leading fish.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Aug 31, 2019 - 01:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

Most likely the only way to positively identify which waters a fish came from would be by tissue samples and stomach contents .

I saw the leading fish and yes it looks like it came off a spawning bed , dark color and large kype , does this prove it wasn't caught in derby waters ...No , Personally within the 12 salmon i've caught in the last two weeks one was a dark male with kype and another a female with dark color and eggs almost ready to drop ..all these fish were caught in deep waters of GB ..

Best of luck to the final winners of the derby ..Will let you know if my draw tickets pay off ..

PMEmail Poster
king killer
Posted: Aug 31, 2019 - 03:33 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

Lots of dark fish in the sound. Its quite normal. Even out past the hole. Cold water moved in the last few days. 44 on top. 37 down 60 in places. Brown just under 19lbs took the trout lead today.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Aug 31, 2019 - 06:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

19 lb brown ...WOW

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace