Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Would You?
Species8472
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 - 12:33 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16923

So i have a smallish inflatable that i would like to use on Nip. I already use it on South Bay as it is relatively sheltered. It is 12 foot 8 inches, 6 chambers, 15 HP Yammy, 55lb Minn Kota, and on the higher end of the quality spectrum. Super stable and essentially unsinkable but small. On calm water it gets on plane no problem and tops out at about 34 km/hour. If it helps to envision it this is a pic of it in the driveway:

Attached Image

It has always been my back lake hunting/fishing boat and has performed flawlessly in that role. A little hesitant to take it out on the big water as that has not been my wheelhouse. Just have an itch lately to explore the south shore down to the mouth of the French. So is this a viable watercraft for this purpose? Would you use it for that?

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 - 12:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

I would pay attention to the weather and wind forecasts.

PM
Grumpa
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 - 02:16 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Been on inflatables/zodiacs before...whale watched from one in Nova Scotia, in 4 footers...never again...spent most of the afternoon on the floor or clinging to the side like a spider monkey.
Not a lot of freeboard on inflatables...and no where to hide.
Exposed, out on the main lake of Nip or the mouth of the French...especially in the fall...with its sometimes unpredictable, often changing and gusty winds...out of the N or NW?
Hopefully...you have a full wetsuit...and you like being wet.
A duck will stay drier.
If you do venture out...pick your days very carefully, and watch the wind strength and direction...like a hawk.
I use both the Windfinder.com and Windy.com apps together, in conjunction with.....my dreaded fear of drowning.
I've seen much bigger, heavier craft with deep V hulls struggle out on the main lake...when her angry winds blow.
Just my opinion.

PM
Species8472
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 - 02:50 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Grumpa @ Sep 16, 2020 - 02:16 pm)
Been on inflatables/zodiacs before...whale watched from one in Nova Scotia, in 4 footers...never again...spent most of the afternoon on the floor or clinging to the side like a spider monkey.
Not a lot of freeboard on inflatables...and no where to hide.
Exposed, out on the main lake of Nip or the mouth of the French...especially in the fall...with its sometimes unpredictable, often changing and gusty winds...out of the N or NW?
Hopefully...you have a full wetsuit...and you like being wet.
A duck will stay drier.
If you do venture out...pick your days very carefully, and watch the wind strength and direction...like a hawk.
I use the Windfinder and Windy apps jointly, in conjunction with...my dreaded fear of drowning.
I've seen much bigger, heavier craft with deep V hulls struggle out on the main lake...when her angry winds blow.
Just my opinion.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I also use windfinder a lot. Find it to be one of the best out there.

Not worried about getting wet per say (i have a Mustang floater suit for days like that) just would prefer not to have spend a night on shore in the bush if things go south but worst case that too is manageable.

Seems it might be doable just have to make sure i'm prepared and have done my date specific research.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 - 04:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Watch the weather as others have said..
Have a plan B ready..
Cheers Dave.

PMEmail Poster
Neil
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 - 04:25 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4203

This morning the wind was out of the south, it is now south west turning to west. Supposed to be out of the north later on. It is very unpredictable and storms usually come from the West so they can sneak up on you if you are along the south shore.
I wraps over on a back lake off from the south shore a lot of years ago and when we were picked up the lake was so rough in south bay that the 18' cedar strip boat we were in had the prop out of the water ever third wave and water over the bow. I gained a lot of respect for the lake that day.
I also remember asking my grandfather if we could go fishing numerous times and he would look out the back of the cottage at the trees and say nope. At the time we fished a lot of the reefs out around the goose islands.
The above said I have seen inflatables and many other small crafts out there on nice days. We had a lot of really calm days this summer.
Also it starts getting quiet over there at times and can be a problem if you have any mechanical issues.

Neil

PMEmail Poster
Warlock
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 03:30 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8012

Just my opinion,but way to late in the season for a crapshoot like that.That part of the lake reacts crazy to changes that make my deep v look like a 14 foot tin tippy.Siding with Grumpas comments for sure and he obviously is no stranger to the lake,might be a little different comment if it was July / early August...you asked.

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 05:37 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Warlock @ Sep 18, 2020 - 03:30 pm)
Just my opinion,but way to late in the season for a crapshoot like that.That part of the lake reacts crazy to changes that make my deep v look like a 14 foot tin tippy.Siding with Grumpas comments for sure and he obviously is no stranger to the lake,might be a little different comment if it was July / early August...you asked.

Thanks. Seems probably better to try it in July some time before even considering a fall trip.

PMEmail Poster
Donny135
Posted: Sep 24, 2020 - 09:08 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 17736

I check the nip part of the forum once in a while but I really don't have a ton of experience on the lake. All I'd like to say is around this time of year accidents on the main lake can be scary... If you have other options when it comes to spots to fish I'd choose em instead. As they mentioned above, for your first time on the main lake, especially with a boat like that maybe save it for next summer.

Hope you make the right call (or be very smart about it)
stay safe, and tight lines of course.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!