Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bird Feeder Activity
Chevy
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 - 11:03 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 156

Beauty shots. My feeder has a lot of action now as well. I've been noticing that the cardinals are the first in the morning and last in the evening.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Oct 22, 2018 - 10:32 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Oct 21, 2018 - 10:01 am)
QUOTE (metalbuckle @ Oct 20, 2018 - 05:37 pm)
Yup Rover is the best! My cats chase them too, but never caught any.. Glad for that, don't need fleas... Hate the squirrels.... They scare the birds.

I have two cats, and they at back yard every so often (like once a week or every other week) would kill a bird and/or a rabbit. Some of those birds killed are in fact quite big. To this day it just still amazes me how a non-flying cat would be able to catch bird after bird...:-)

Maybe they are ninja cats

PMEmail Poster
Dinky
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 - 08:33 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 212

Had to take my feeders down Jerry, they had too much bear action...lol

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 - 02:02 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15901

I stopped putting feeders out as the rats keep breaking them. I just throw some feed out on the ground now and then. Would prefer the feeders, but to expensive to only last a couple months. I let my dog out every time I see them in the yard, he has taken a couple over the years, but getting to old now.

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 - 05:42 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Oct 23, 2018 - 02:02 pm)
I stopped putting feeders out as the rats keep breaking them.

You're talking about tree rats, right?

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 - 06:12 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Well the tree rats / squirrels do damage the feeders. I have one feeder all chewed up by the nasty critters. But worse, last night my feeders were visited by racoons, I can only assume as one feeder was ripped apart probably by their freakish little hands..
Good times!

Anyway, had a new bird at the feeders today, some kind of sparrow with white stripes on it's head. Could not get a picture, it was too fast..

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Oct 23, 2018 - 07:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

We just put our feeder out this weekend, earlier than normal but with the colder weather we figured it wouldn’t hurt.
Within two days we’ve had dozens of chickadees, blue jays, sparrows, finches, woodpeckers, nuthatches and grosbeaks. Guess they didn’t forget where the winter buffet was
We had lots of problems over the years with squirrels, I tried everything from “squirrel proof feeders” to a clothesline setup with pop bottles that spun on it, but they still managed to get on it from either our roof or the tall tree branches close by.
I finally found a setup that works great, it’s all on one tall 4x4 post with a lever style arm that everything hangs on, hauled up and down with a rope and has a metal cone underneath to keep them from climbing up. Two years later I’ve not had one squirrel or raccoon get up to the feeders.
I’ll add a pic tomorrow when there’s more light if anyone’s interested in the setup, it works great, as long as it’s far enough from any higher trees or buildings that they could jump off of to access the feeders.

PMEmail Poster
IFH
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 - 02:29 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4919

Nice photos MB, thanks for posting. I feed the birds as well, always interesting to see who's feeding next.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 - 05:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

Here’s my setup, nobody gets on from the bottom and nobody gets on from above unless they have wings .
It’s worked great for keeping squirrels off for several years now, just loosen the rope to lower and fill the trays and suet cages, then tie it up to keep out of reach of the furry ones.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 07:26 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Thanks for the pic. Very interesting contraption. Nice property you have there too..

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 05:05 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Gotta love the birds, I haven't started to feed them yet this year, but, they are going crazy eating the cherries off the neighbours tree. I loss count after 24 robins. The cardinals, jays, sparrows and chick a dee all seemed to be getting buzzed from the fermented fruit. Looked out yesterday and no birds anywhere except for 1 large hawk perched in the spruce. As soon as he left the tree was buzzing again.

PMEmail Poster
IFH
Posted: Oct 28, 2018 - 02:54 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4919

Hope you don't mind me posting this on your thread metalbuckles. Birds on the old feeder I had would flick the seed out of it, trying to get to the ones they like. They could empty the feeder in short order, and all that seed would end up on the ground for those furry tailed rats to enjoy. So I built a feeder which I could control how much seed was dispensed and ground feeding birds could still feed and not squirrels.

In the photo you can see the 2 x 3 foot platform mounted 5 feet off the ground with squirrel guard. An auger pushes seed from the hopper onto it. Here the birds get first chance at the seed. Spaces between the 1 x 6 boards allow some of the seed and chaff to fall to the ground as well as rain run off.

The idea for the dispensing mechanism came from watching farm equipment unload grain, a screw conveyor. I used an old auger bit that would be used with a brace (brace & bit), attached it to a 12 volt worm gear-head motor bought at Princes Auto, think it was used for power car seats. Mounted this assembly in a block of wood with a hopper above. Also installed was a beeper. The idea was to activate the beeper just before dependence seed, to see if I could train birds to come when it beeped. The only bird that caught on was a male sparrow.

At one time had it connected to a PLC (computer used to control electrical equipment) programmed it to dispense seed at different amounts and intervals during the day, also sound the beeper. Now it's connected to a push button in the house. Only put feed out when I'm home, feed the birds year round, warm months put out a couple of table spoon each day keep them interested, cold months a lot more and more often.

As for seeds I make up my own blends they can be a combination of millet, safflower, cut corn, niger and mostly black oil sunflower seed. Each batch is different, have noticed that the safflower is the last to go. Fortunate to live 10 minutes away from a wild bird seed business, and they are very helpful.

I get your usual birds and a number of years ago I had an Indigo Bunting feeding for a few days in the early spring must have been travelling though on its migration north also occasionally a Rose-breasted grosbeak feeds.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 - 08:16 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

No I don't mind at all. This thread is for sharing bird feeder pics and solutions...

That is an amazing setup..

Jeeeeeeez you can patent that.. LOL

Love the computer / button controlled dispenser.

I agree, if you put out too much seed the birds just make a mess and spill it all over the ground for the mice, rats and squirrels.

The reason I measure out feed amounts / day.
It's a manual process for me.. But same idea.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace