Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Leaves... To Rake or not to Rake?
metalbuckle
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 09:27 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Here is an interesting question..

On the weekend, I raked all the leaves off my lawn, bagged and ready for curb pick-up.
Spent a couple of hours doing it. Stupid me! Today already with the morning winds, all the leaves are back and then some. Expecting 80 km/hr winds this afternoon in the city, yippie! I am not going to comment further on this, except this - This fall weather sucks! Where the hell is Indian Summer??

Anyways..... I read in the paper recently, that you should't rake your leaves, just leave them there over the winter. It creates fertilizer and habit for insects and animals. I am not sure about creating habitat for animals on my lawn, the only animals I have are mice! And I am not going to talk about mice again..

So --- here is the question - To Rake or not to Rake?

I say rake them, some people spent lots of time and money on their lawns (I don't - mine is about average - lots of weeds) But I still remove the leaves, I think they are messy and damage the lawn..

Anyway, just something to ponder on yet another terrible day this fall.

PMEmail Poster
Limacharley
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 09:35 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11791

You are way better off to mow them down with your lawn mower. It breaks them down so the lawn can absorb the nutrients.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dangerfield
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:06 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16156

rake it or leaf it.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:16 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

For "normal" cases(whatever that is?) you can just 'leave' them. Maybe run over them with a mower just for kicks if that's how you get your jollies! . Oak leaves are a bit of an exception-they fall late so less time to blow over to your neighbors lawn and they are quite slow to break down. If you get a thick mat of those you should rake them.

BTW--dandeloins make for nice greens when they are young and before the flower. Better than that arugula stuff that you guys eat!!

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:24 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Thanks.. LOL.. I am Italian, I pick the dandylions in April from the lawn and give them to my mom, she cleans and prepares them - then I go over for dinner. Yup they are good.. LOL

Ok next time, I will just mow them down, but I have 2 large maples near my property and it is about 2-3 inches thick in leaves in some spots. As soon as this rain stops and if they ever dry out somewhat, I will mow them down for jollies.

PMEmail Poster
HardlyCore
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:27 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8169

Pretty lawns are over rated. Why make more work for yourself? I prefer a natural landscape.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:40 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

If you like your lawn you should bag them. Leaving them on the lawn under the winter snow can cause a mold and fungus issues for your lawn in the spring.

If you don't care for your lawn, mulch them down for faster decomposition. But this works better if the amount of leaves aren't so thick. When the leaves are so thick on the ground mulching them down still leaves a thick layer which will still choke your grass slowly killing it or preventing growth for next season.

If you have a huge amount of leaves, bag what you can now and mulch down the rest before the snow falls and hangs around for the next few months.

PMEmail Poster
trapperdirk
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 11:19 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

I just mulch mine and point the mower at the trees where a lot pile up . Then rake that pile up in spring and burn . As far as grass . I f***ing hate it . 3 and a half acres to cut makes me growl .

TD

PM
Fossy47
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 01:09 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

X2 on dealing with leaves using the lawn mower.
It is really best to mulch them down to a fine particulate to speed up their breakdown. Your soil will thank you.

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 05:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

I'm a raker. I enjoy having a fire and a few brews with the dewalt radio on. With today's wind I see my backyard is covered again. I'll be back at it again this weekend.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 06:30 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

If you do not have a over abundance of leaves mulch them into the lawn.....bugs will eat the partial leaves and crap fertilizer....same bugs also aerate your soil to some extent. This is the eco system of your lawn.....if you have a lot of leaves mulch some and bag the over abundance otherwise you will get like a leaf paste theat will smother your lawn and like a heavy snow blanket set up springtime disease and lack of sunshine to the grass

Grass Clippings

again cut your grass regularly.....cut only a third of the blade....grass is 100% nitrogen for your lawn and again food for the bugs that provide natural fertilizer.......if you cut more than a third yes you must rake of the excess.....should have cut your grass sooner.....before winter sets in cut your grass short like a brush cut so that if you get a heavy snowfall it cant fold over creating a environment of dampness....rot and mildew....hope this helps. I look after 60 lawns.

There is a lot of other things about nice lawns but that is the scoop on leaves and clippings.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Bayliner
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 06:37 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

I used to mulch them.

This year I'll be blowing them next door to the new cottager who is loud and annoying.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 06:55 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bayliner @ Nov 06, 2018 - 06:37 pm)
I used to mulch them.

This year I'll be blowing them next door to the new cottager who is loud and annoying.

Lmao Thanks Bayliner... Beered another keyboard

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 06:59 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Great info everyone.. Thank you for clearing up the leaves issue

If I get the right winds tonight, maybe they will be all gone in the morning..

It's howling out there right now

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 07:05 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (metalbuckle @ Nov 06, 2018 - 06:55 pm)
QUOTE (Bayliner @ Nov 06, 2018 - 06:37 pm)
I used to mulch them.

Lmao Thanks Bayliner... Beered another keyboard

He also had a load of firewood delivered. This tells me he plans to come up a lot over the winter.

I'm hoping for lots of snow so my snowblower will enjoy filling his driveway.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace