Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sturgeon - Sept 24/18, SMB
Skippy
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 04:56 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 12923

Had most of the day to fish - so decided to hit up Sturgeon Lake again for some very early fall fishing...

Launched my kayak a little before 7am - wanted to try my luck with a new Whopper Plopper 75. Chucked it around for 15 minutes before my first blow up - exciting to watch, but unfortunately, didn't hookup... Cast back to the same spot a couple more times and then when I didn't get another taker, switched over to a paddle tail swimbait to follow it up. Which immediately resulted in my first hookup of the day - a dink smallie, but still - on the board. Cast again along the same line and hook into a better smallie - 17 inches - very good start. Cast once more and pull in a small walleye... OK - we've got fish and they seem to like the swimbait today - looks like maybe we've found the pattern, we're only in our first hour and its going to be an awesome day.

Well that was my hope anyway - didn't turn out that way... I tried the Whopper Plopper and swimbait throughout the remainder of the day and can't say that I had a single bite after those noted above on any type of moving bait.

Slowed down with a texas rig and the ned rig - and managed to catch a few, and while some of the sizes were decent, the numbers really weren't what I was expecting... Never really had any flurries of bites (other than the 3 noted above) they to be single fish roaming as opposed to schooled up fish.

Also, other than the one small walleye, I didn't see any of the toothie fish in my travels - which is unusual for the area I was fishing in.

All in all - a fairly slow, grindy day of fishing, but still an enjoyable outing. Picture of my best bass will be below (hopefully) - caught around 1:30pm...
Thanks for reading and hope maybe this helps someone else find em!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 06:33 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14818

Nice pic and glad you enjoyed your day on the water. I can go to the same spot in the same conditions at the same time of year and get completely different results. Some days are can't miss and others are more of where'd they go? Just enjoy what you get and hope to get back out there. Every fish is fun, no matter the size. I had to work, so good on you.

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 - 06:14 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

Nice fat healthy looking fish . Thanks for the report . Whopper ploppers are fun especially the bigger ones for Muskies .

PMEmail Poster
FishingChef
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 - 03:59 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15394

Thanks for the report and picture.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace