» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Oct 6/18 - Last trip of the year (likely)...
Skippy
Posted: Oct 07, 2018 - 01:56 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12923

Decided to get out for what I expect will be my last outing for this year - hit up Sturgeon, but a much later than normal start launched around noon.

Very overcast and cool, but at least it wasn't raining and the winds were better than I expected.

Paddled out to my most productive areas and managed a couple of smallies right off the bat, but couldn't get the size I was looking for. Continued to search and managed to find a few fish, but unfortunately today was more about lost fish than ones that I was able to CPR (Catch Photo Release)…

Most productive bait today was a Keitech Swing Impact Fat (3.3 and 3.8 inch) - reeled over the top of weeds. Hooked into 3 muskie, only one of which I managed to boat - the other two were fought for a bit and brought up so I could see them, but eventually cut through my leaders (8-12 lb fluorocarbon as I was targeting bass). Managed a few decent largies doing the same - the ones that I hooked into really didn't put up much of a fight though. One particular fish I was sure had gotten off by going down into the weeds as I ended up pulling up around 5 lbs of the stuff and couldn't feel anything pulling on my line other than dead weight - pulled the stuff off when I got it to the boat and found a small bass still on the hook.

Shifted back to my original spots looking for one last good fish just before 6PM and hooked into a BEAST smallie… I thought it was a muskie to start with just based on how much drag it was pulling, but got to see it jump a short while later my heart started racing. Managed to keep it pinned through two more jumps and even when it went down into the weeds to try and wrap me up. Finally thought I had won the battle and managed to coax her up to the surface and grab my net, but unfortunately one last head shake and she was gone.

Its likely Attila and some others around Sturgeon heard the "NOOOOOOOOO!" that followed.
Decided I couldn't end the day/season on that note (although I would have loved to have ended it on getting that one in the boat) - cast back and managed an average smallie to end it...

Off the water by 6:15PM and by that time it was almost dead calm (see pic below). Managed to stay mostly dry - had around 30 minutes of rain, maybe a bit more, but I was prepared for it.

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Oct 07, 2018 - 01:57 pm

Parr Trout

Muskie - other two were similar size

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Oct 07, 2018 - 01:57 pm

Parr Trout

SMB - around average size but likely the last one of the season for me...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Oct 07, 2018 - 01:58 pm

Parr Trout

Calm water

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Oct 07, 2018 - 01:58 pm

Parr Trout

Kayak put up...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Chad
Posted: Oct 07, 2018 - 11:09 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13508

A fine ending!

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 07:27 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Well done 👍

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Oct 09, 2018 - 08:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

Great report Skippy, it was a pleasure running into you. I didn't hear you but having lost fish that size I know all to well what it must have sounded like...agony!

Looks like a fun season for you and thanks for your great reports!

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Oct 09, 2018 - 05:46 pm

Parr Trout

Thanks Attila,

Nice to run into you as well.

Tight lines all and to those still able to get out on the water - be safe.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace