Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Chemong bite?
DOWNSHIFT
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 01:57 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17253

Hey, new to this forum, heading up to Chemong this weekend to a Friends place from Ottawa area and bringing my gear with me, they are on a little bay on Pratts Marina rd on the north end of the lake. Is it worth checking the bay out or should I check else where, no sled or atv, just 2 feet and heart beat. Depth charts show pretty shallow so may need to venture out if ice is still safe?

Thanks

This post has been edited by DOWNSHIFT on Mar 22, 2019 - 02:23 pm

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 08:43 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15807

Ice should be good even access points up there for some time still. I've never fished in the northern part of the lake so can't help you with that. South of the causeway seems to be where people tend to fish more but don't know if that's because of easier access and shorter drive from the GTA area.

PMEmail Poster
austinfish
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 - 09:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12603

I checked there is not public access there.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 01:38 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16820

I'll be out tomorrow afternoon on chemong south of the causeway by the islands. Will have a double pop up tent. Has anyone checked out the access at Clonakilty Line?

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 06:00 pm

Smolt Trout

Sorry, haven't fished there since the 12th (couldn't fish on the 19th). Maybe I can fish again on the 26th so would love to hear how you do as well as the state of the access point too.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 08:57 pm

Parr Trout

I'll post up and update tomorrow. Gonna walk on but I expect at least a foot and a half of solid ice still

PMEmail Poster
nineinches
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 05:19 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 473

Heading out to Chemong shortly, going out from Irish line access, which is just below the causeway and just up from clontikilly line. Was out there last week and the ice was close to two feet thick.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 01:33 pm

Parr Trout

Out right now but the island. Nothing wrong with the Clonakilty access. I'm the only double sized hut out here if anyone wants to stop by

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 07:48 pm

Smolt Trout

Thanks for the report. And with the temps tonight and Monday, then everything should stay decent for a possible Tuesday fish. Good luck out there. Are there lots of people out today/tonight? How's the fishing going?

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 07:58 pm

Parr Trout

Fishing was alright. Brought in some keeper perch but nothing to write home about. Lots of dinks, had a lot of fun anyways. People have migrated towards the east shore. Probably 25-30 people scattered around.

Got checked by a CO on the way back to the ramp. Nice guy. Couldn't stay to the crappie bite so I can't report on that. Ice is nice and solid and the ramp should hold up for a few more days I think.

Saw a half dozen four wheelers bombing around as well.

Good luck!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 08:24 pm

Smolt Trout

Thanks. I have always thought about the east side of the lake and never got out to try it since I was always catching stuff in the usual places - something to do for next year.
I've been checked 3 times this year (usually once a season in most years but three times this year). Great to see. Maybe I stood out for some reason.
Will report if I get out on Tuesday.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 26, 2019 - 08:40 pm

Smolt Trout

Was able to fish for 1.5 hours and decided to try in Gifford Bay. Wow, it looks like they lower the water alot compared to earlier this winter. I thought something looked strange a couple of weeks ago when Horseshoe Island's ice looked like it lifted up onto shore. I didn't think about water being lowered but just that the ice moved and piled onto the side of the island. Anyway, going out today to Gifford today, it was clear the water was much lower as the shoreline ice was barely ice but solid....solid ground beneath a few inches of that candling/honeycomb ice. It was kind of strange walking on for the first little bit until I realized what was going on. There wasn't enough water under the remaining ice at the shoreline for ice to be solid. Then once on the ice over water, the ice was in excellent shape. A bit slick on the top but plenty of ice below still and good quality black ice down below. Anyway, had to look around but after about 30-40 min. I had 2 or 3 holes that started to produce bites and then progressed to hook ups and some keepers. Ended up with 5 good bluegills and 1 crappie; lost another crappie that was slightly bigger than mine just at the bottom of the whole (saw it) and I caught a largemouth bass that was about 1.5 lbs (barely hooked and so quick released - no photo either). The bass more or less killed off the fishing - the panfish seemed to disappear after that and didn't get a bite for about 30 minutes and then my time was up. I was glad I was able to hook a couple of crappies in the height of day light at about 12:30-2pm. I would think late in the afternoon and early evening, the crappie bite should be pretty good if I was able to get a couple during the brightest part of the day (and it was cloudless).

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 10:51 am

Parr Trout

Nice!

Heading out this afternoon for th last hurrah on chemong. Gonna try the west shore as well.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 09:19 pm

Parr Trout

Don't quote me on it being my last time out. Still two feet of solid ice and the shore is still excellent.

Went to a spot and we were pulling in all sorts of fish large and tiny. Had a great night although there wasn't much to take home.

As long as you're careful hardware season is far from over.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 10:08 pm

Smolt Trout

Thanks for the report. If I am lucky, I may get to try one more time on Tuesday - that would make this winter, my longest ice fishing season (early Dec. to early April). Again, it won't be for long but nice to just see what's happening in the lake.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace