» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gong Show at Collingwood This AM, Not us, Someone else
sdcaller
Posted: May 22, 2020 - 08:20 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

As we were preparing our boats this morning, 2 younger folks pulled in with a 14ft boat and were already set to launch.

He backs boat and truck down the ramp and his buddy has the ropes and takes the boat to the mooring cleats, all the time holding his "smart phone" in his hand. His buddy parks the truck and trailer and gets half way back to the boat when his buddy shouts "the boat is filling with water".

He runs and turns on the bilge pump and then runs to get the truck and trailer to pull the boat back out.

His buddy gets the boat back onto the trailer, all the time holding the smart phone.

Buddy driving the truck hauls the boat out and water is pouring out the drain hole--no plug.

As the "smart phone" buddy gets to the top of the ramp, he drops the phone and pieces fly everywhere all over the concrete.

Their day did not start well and I don't know if they did eventually get out or get any fish.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: May 22, 2020 - 08:35 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

That would have been worth doing a "Smart phone Buddy" video.

PM
metalbuckle
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 05:35 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Lesson here.... Put the "dumb' phones away when you go fishing......

There is so much beautiful scenery in the outdoors, Stop starring at a 3 inch screen.

Case closed

PMEmail Poster
Andrewj
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 09:21 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7919

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 12:23 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3419

New generation is lost if they don't have a phone in their hand I see it with my own kids always reminding them addiction

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 12:38 pm

World Record Trout

Just wait when they're older, cranky thumb disease, and crooked neck disease from constantly looking down.

PM
Fozzy47
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 05:27 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 18006

It seems in that story, the only smart one was the phone.....

Happens so often, people walking into doors with phones stuck in their ears, talking street signs. It's fabulous entertainment if you have the time.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 07:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

I think the blame is on the boat owner..
You back your boat in and launch it without the plug, that's on you.
I'm sure lots of us have launched without the plug in..It happens, maybe even to some of us twice lol..
Tip... Any plastic shopping bag can be shoved up the plug hole for a quick temporary fix..

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 08:49 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9952

I agree with what fishmagnet said. That’s why I will only launch and load my boat by myself, no matter who is with me. I have a certain way of doing it, and all it takes is someone else to “help” a little bit, and your off your routine and that’s when stuff goes wrong. And I also agree with Metalbuckle, I have an iPhone and take it with me all the time, but in the boat it’s only used for emergency’s, and taking pics of big ole fish, otherwise I’m there to enjoy nature, not a damn screen!

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 08:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Seguin Fisher @ May 23, 2020 - 08:49 pm)
I agree with what fishmagnet said. That’s why I will only launch and load my boat by myself, no matter who is with me. I have a certain way of doing it, and all it takes is someone else to “help” a little bit, and your off your routine and that’s when stuff goes wrong. And I also agree with Metalbuckle, I have an iPhone and take it with me all the time, but in the boat it’s only used for emergency’s, and taking pics of big ole fish, otherwise I’m there to enjoy nature, not a damn screen!

My routine is the same as yours. I DO IT MY WAY!

One advantage I have, is that the plug is never out of the boat. When the boat is not on the water, it is on the trailer in my garage--never sits out.

Despite being a 20 year old rivetted boat--no leaks.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
mephisto_lake
Posted: May 23, 2020 - 09:11 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11714

Not to derail this but why do some boats sink and other don't? last year I had my boat docked on the weslemkoon marina and we had that awful thunderstorm that Friday, I pulled the plug on the trailer ride home (my boat is usually covered I rarely pull the plug), next weekend I'm fishing 7-8 hours with a buddy and didn't notice I forgot to screw in the plug until I have it back on the trailer. I've always just assumed water would come through the vent in the carpet would let me know something is amiss. I know I was on the trolling motor hours at a time so I was not clearing it out, I've always wondered if it's because the plug is attached to the boat if it got roughly forced up against the hole to stop 90% of the water intake or maybe hull design?

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 11:12 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

ya, this is getting so normal

what's wrong with doing a circle check before pulling out of your driveway ? not rocket science

But this morning I had the best laugh of all as this guy was on his phone walking back and forth on his own dock slip... the conversation must have gone intense as he suddenly walked to the end of the dock and kept on going.

Big splash..hilarious

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fisherman
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 11:51 am

World Record Trout

Ah that would have been priceless to see.

PM
jam1324
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 12:47 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 16371

After being delayed starting our season, I have been double, triple, and quadruple checking everything. Feel like I am rusty since it been so long and it can't hurt to be extra cautious!

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 24, 2020 - 01:35 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (jam1324 @ May 24, 2020 - 12:47 pm)
After being delayed starting our season, I have been double, triple, and quadruple checking everything. Feel like I am rusty since it been so long and it can't hurt to be extra cautious!

seized is more like it

Ralph, I do the exact same thing with launching as everytime you get help, your

rythem is gone . There are only 2 others I let help as they know the drill very well.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!