Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> how to target herring / cisco
woodee123
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 - 11:26 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 6804

well...now that i know there are herring in nosbonsing can anyone tell me how to target them? now im excited to try and get another. any suggestions would be great. I believe they are generally deep and have small mouths so smaller presentations would be better. any other ideas?

thanks!

PMEmail Poster
bow slayer
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 - 11:30 am

Fry

Member No.: 15240

i have always caught them with in 5 feet of bottom either with set line or small jigging spoon tipped with a minnow,the odd times we have marked fish about have way down from bottom and dropped single minnows down and caught them also

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 - 12:27 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Got lots with a hammerd silver 2 inch Williams up there... they will chase it up from near bottom and hit anywhere.

Tip with a minnow head and you will connect with some if they are around

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 04:35 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

They can be pretty well anywhere and are usually suspended - sometimes even right under the ice. Been seeing a fair # in 12-20ft zone this year. They react well to aggressive jigging with very short pauses. Pause for too long and they seem to lose interest.

PMEmail Poster
Icehog
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 06:37 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7626

Caught them just off the bottom . Using a sliver spoon tipped with minnow. If you are use g a fish finder you can actual see them following the bait up from the bottom. Tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 08:00 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12683

they're all wormy in Nip and most likely Nos as well.

PMEmail Poster
landonfish
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 01:17 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5784

QUOTE (woodee123 @ Feb 22, 2018 - 11:26 am)
well...now that i know there are herring in nosbonsing can anyone tell me how to target them? now im excited to try and get another. any suggestions would be great. I believe they are generally deep and have small mouths so smaller presentations would be better. any other ideas?

thanks!

Have done really well for them on Huron this year, i have been fishing 40FOW and mark them anywhere from 10' off of bottom to 10' below the ice. That being said most of the fish i have caught this year have been suspended about 20-25' down and believe it or not been smashing them on the 10g vibrato fished naked. The buckshot in any color works. What i have been doing is a technique i like to call yo-yoing these fish are active and the speed of light lol. I real up get the fish engaged, they will follow 9/10 times all the way to the ice. If they don't hit i drop it past them,when they catch up i reel up past them and repeat the process. This infuriates them and they will usually eat. Catching 15-18" fish too so don't be scared to use a fair sized bait.

Hope this helps!

PMEmail Poster
landonfish
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 01:17 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5784

QUOTE (kenster @ Feb 23, 2018 - 08:00 am)
they're all wormy in Nip and most likely Nos as well.

Caught a couple from nip earlier in the season, no worms to be found

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace