> New Baitfish & leeches regulations, Starting on January 1st, 2022
metalbuckle
  Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 07:08 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Received this morning from the MNRF Newsletter:

(there used to be a link on the email newsletter that I could share the whole thing and view it online, but i can't find that link now.. wish I could link it here, lots of good info for fishing and hunting. If you are not subscribed, try to get on the list. Good work MNRF preparing and sending these newsletters)

Correction, the Newsletter is from:

Fish and Wildlife Services Branch
Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry

So thank-you above for your work!

Here you go the section about Baitfish & Leeches:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ontario is rolling out new rules related to the use and movement of baitfish and leeches when fishing in the province. This is all part of the province's plan to prevent the spread of invasive species as well as diseases like viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) that can devastate Ontario's fish stocks.

Starting on January 1st, 2022, Ontario will be divided into four Bait Management Zones (BMZs) —Northwest, Northeast, Central and Soutthern. Anglers, if you live in the zone where you are fishing, you will be permitted to harvest and use baitfish and leeches in that zone. If you are fishing outside the zone in which you reside, then you will need to purchase and use baitfish and leeches from the BMZ where you are fishing.

Baitfish and leeches can only be moved within the BMZ where they were harvested or purchased, with some exceptions, including moving baitfish and leeches into an adjacent Great Lake or a portion of the Ottawa River.

Anglers fishing in their home BMZ should be prepared to show government issued identification to demonstrate their place of residence. Anglers using live bait outside of their home BMZ must purchase their baitfish and leeches and can keep them for up to two weeks. They must also keep a legible receipt after you have purchased them to show to a conservation officer.

These changes come after years of research, data collection and consultation with anglers in the province. Anglers are also reminded to:
Safely dispose contents of your bait container at least 30 metres from any lake, pond, river or stream
Dispose of fish waste, heads and tails in the garbage, not waterways, when cleaning fish
Put unwanted roe or baitfish in the garbage
Empty livewells and bilges away from water, where the water will be absorbed into the ground
Inspect and disinfect your gear, if necessary

Check ontario.ca/baitfish for updates on BMZs.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 09:04 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 18589

Thank you for posting that.

PMEmail Poster
2Mac
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 10:24 am

Fry

Member No.: 19148

Yes.Thanks for posting this.
From what I can see if you are fishing on Georgian Bay you could possibly be in 3 different zones?

PMEmail Poster
reelinginthebigone
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 10:50 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 18443

Great info - thanks.

PMEmail Poster
Fishabout
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 11:58 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13839

Are bait dealers aloud to sell to bait stores outside of the zone the minnows come from? Almost all the shinners used in the winter come from lake simcoe and distributed all over. Will be hard to find shinners outside of zone 16. Not the easiest for people to trap there own in the winter.

PMEmail Poster
naturefan
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 12:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3236

Not clear about dead frozen minnows. Do I need to keep receipt for them as well?

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 12:23 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Wish I could answer questions, but all I have is this page:

http://ontario.ca/baitfish

As far as I can gather... Buy your bait locally and use it locally within the zone.

Good Luck!

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 - 04:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

“Dispose of fish waste, heads and tails in the garbage, not waterways, when cleaning fish”

….this one I just don’t get…
Why not throw it back where it came from and take the fillets home. Contribute to the food chain…crayfish, ling, gulls, etc. are happy to have an easy meal. What am I missing here ?

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Oct 03, 2021 - 06:55 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

I posted a letter from the MNR on this back in February....it may interest some of you.....it will also take you back to the thread it is in where a lot of members posted stuff.

https://www.lakesimcoeoutdoors.com/forums/i...ndpost&p=408023

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!