Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tiny minnows bait shop, Also new bait restrictions
Fish Guru
Posted: Dec 17, 2020 - 06:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7554

Just phoned to see if and when they'd be opening and he said he's not gonna risk it and stay closed. Between covid and new bait restrictions it's not worth it. Hope huronia baits in fesserton opens this year. Also will new bait restrictions be inforced with tickets right away?

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Dec 17, 2020 - 08:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (Fish Guru @ Dec 17, 2020 - 06:15 pm)
Just phoned to see if and when they'd be opening and he said he's not gonna risk it and stay closed. Between covid and new bait restrictions it's not worth it. Hope huronia baits in fesserton opens this year. Also will new bait restrictions be inforced with tickets right away?

What bait restrictions??

PMEmail Poster
Fish Guru
Posted: Dec 17, 2020 - 09:03 pm

Lunker Trout

You can only trap baitfish in the zone you live in. If your fishing outside your zone you have to buy bait and it can't be more than 2 weeks old and you have to have a receipt as proof whether they are dead or alive. Cant bring great lakes bait to inland lakes. Even commercial bait cannot cross BMZ -bait management zones

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: Dec 17, 2020 - 11:32 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 11172

This will be a tricky subject. This part pf the regulations is not written very well. From what I understand the Bait Management Zone is very different then the Fisheries Management Zones, there might be 3 or 4 BMZ's for the province, therefore one BMZ could cover multiple FMZ's.

PMEmail Poster
Fish Guru
Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 06:49 am

Lunker Trout

These are the Bmz outlined in ontario out of doors

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
IRatherBFishin
Posted: Dec 19, 2020 - 12:11 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8810

Good information to know

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Dec 19, 2020 - 02:11 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

it will be strange to have to ask for a receipt when getting minnows. The 2 week time limit will be touch in the winter. I know my buddy keeps his minnows in his garage for longer then that.

PMEmail Poster
HookMeUp
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 - 12:10 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 17201

Definitely potential for confusion.

Are there exemptions where a waterbody crosses two zones?Comparing BMZ & FMZ around Pickeral River & Port Loring (FMZs 11 & 15). If fishing this area are 2 separate buckets of minnows required? Would bait shops need to be on both sides of the zone or could a seller have two separate tanks - one for each separate zone?

Sab - Receipts & 2-week limit are likely to prevent buying minnows once and using same receipt while replenishing but saying minnows on hand were from the original purchase.

PMEmail Poster
Winterfisher
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 - 12:43 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 16638

This is new to me, had no idea. I wish there was a way to zoom in on bmz. By the looks of it, this screws all bait suppliers in the gta for fishermen that want to fish up north. My rule of thumb has always been get bait as soon as you see it. I've been screwed more than once trying to get bait from shops up north.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 - 05:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (Winterfisher @ Dec 20, 2020 - 12:43 pm)
This is new to me, had no idea. I wish there was a way to zoom in on bmz. By the looks of it, this screws all bait suppliers in the gta for fishermen that want to fish up north. My rule of thumb has always been get bait as soon as you see it. I've been screwed more than once trying to get bait from shops up north.

Thats how it looks to me....looks like they are using the Trent system as the line.....hard to tell....I want to see something more specific before I fish.....thx for posting this.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 - 06:21 pm

World Record Trout

If you need some reading material I found this.....havent found anything clear yet as to the borders of the area....if someone has or does find please post a link.

https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-0518

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 - 06:42 pm

World Record Trout

Correct me if you know better but from what I see this is a proposal that they have had public hearings on and not being enforced as yet?

I have written a letter to bait@ontario.ca containing the below and will see what I get back and post it here.

Can I please know as I can not find it in the regs.

1. Is there something being enforced that is new in bait management? Example four Zones.
2. Specific lines in a detailed map of where the 4 zones borders are?
3. If I am on the border of two zones do I now have to have two different bait buckets?

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Cichlid
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 - 08:14 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 10258

I receive an e-mail from the MNRF every few months about fishing and hunting topics and just received one a week ago. There was nothing about this. I think this is a proposal that will come into effect soon, but not yet. Just my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
Fish Guru
Posted: Dec 21, 2020 - 01:39 pm

Lunker Trout

The article read that ofah is fighting against some of the proposals. Specially the one that wont let you trap your own bait. I got bait Friday at huronia bait and the owner didnt seem to worried about it seeing as most of her customers fish outside the bmz she operates in.

PMEmail Poster
Wasagabeach
Posted: Dec 21, 2020 - 05:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3362

Huronia bait in fesserton? Did they have lots of bait sizes?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!