Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Meaford trolling, Spring fishing
Garyf
Posted: Mar 05, 2021 - 05:07 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18950

Wondering if anyone has experience salmon and laker fishing in the spring out of Meaford? I have been told that it is pretty slim pickens there. Hope itís not so.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Mar 08, 2021 - 08:40 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 315

QUOTE (Garyf @ Mar 05, 2021 - 05:07 pm)
Wondering if anyone has experience salmon and laker fishing in the spring out of Meaford? I have been told that it is pretty slim pickens there. Hope itís not so.

History shows that the salmon off Meaford in the spring is a wishful thinking proposition , Lakers on the other hand are abundant throughout most of the area , thanks to the MNR dumping in millions of them ,

Run a flashy spoon 10' off bottom real slow and watch your graph , times when marking but no hits try poping the lure off release and let it flutter up , works some times ..

you could get a bow or one of the elusive browns ..

Best of luck ..

PMEmail Poster
jignhookz
Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 08:53 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10427

I like the suggestion of popping the release and letting the lure come up. I have never used this method but I screen shot good ideas like this to look at later.
Thanks Steelheader

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 09:01 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 16371

Had 3 Lakers last year when calling it for the day and popping lures up. One of them was a real big one, I popped my sons rod and handed it to him to reel in and he starts yelling there's a huge fish on, I thought he was pulling my leg at first, it was pretty funny. If you pay close attention to your graph as steelheader suggested and pop the rod after you see a big mark it's probably a really good method.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 09:05 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

Hey great idea.

It would be just like jigging and chase method. I bet that works extremely well.

PMEmail Poster
Krawler
Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 11:03 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2268

Often times when you pop the rod and you notice you have a fish online like a laker its not that the fish bit when it came off the release, you were actually dragging that laker for god knows how long. Lakers, even 10lb lakers are notorius for not popping the release and just dragging them along. Happens to everyone.

But this method does work and the spoon flutters to the surface. it goes through the water column and could get a strike from a fish. But its very rare and often seen as a last resort.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Mar 11, 2021 - 09:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (Disco @ Mar 10, 2021 - 09:05 am)
Hey great idea.

It would be just like jigging and chase method. I bet that works extremely well.

The method of popping off the release certainly doesn't work every time but on the other hand enough to keep me trying it... some days I've caught most of my lakers in GB this way , run close to bottom , if marking a few pop off release , as it flutters up ..bang , think it's the same theory James uses almost exclusively on simcoe , the old pull away and chase method ..

Has also worked on salmon with the ole lyman , covers a lot of the water column and creates that old chase and catch ..

Guy's it's not perfect but next time your marking a number of predatory fish and their not hitting give it a try ..

Dave

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Mar 13, 2021 - 05:17 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 16371

For sure some times it's a Laker that's been on for a while but we had at least three good ones hit during the release and reel in at the end of the day last season no marks noticed, and 2 ( out of ten trys all season) that were good marks on bottom after no action all day and popping the rod and letting it flutter up to try and entice a bite. It's a great tip and I learned it somewhere here on these boards.

PMEmail Poster
woodie54
Posted: Mar 13, 2021 - 05:55 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 503

Always do that every time I am going to change lures as well, have caught salmon that way.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Mar 13, 2021 - 06:52 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

First sign of spring (for those who troll!) spotted this morning. Check inside the circle to the right side of the elevator, .....a boat!!! It must have been a cold trip(?)

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Mar 13, 2021 - 06:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

Still large ice blocks floating.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Kyfish
Posted: Mar 13, 2021 - 11:35 pm

Fry

Member No.: 17115

Wish I could say it was me out there but unfortunately I've got a few weeks left to university before I get the boat in the water. As much as I want to fish there are more important things, can't afford the upkeep of a boat without a job.

Good luck to whoever made it out and the same to those who make it out before me.

PMEmail Poster
Krawler
Posted: Mar 14, 2021 - 08:23 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2268

QUOTE (jam1324 @ Mar 13, 2021 - 05:17 pm)
For sure some times it's a Laker that's been on for a while but we had at least three good ones hit during the release and reel in at the end of the day last season no marks noticed, and 2 ( out of ten trys all season) that were good marks on bottom after no action all day and popping the rod and letting it flutter up to try and entice a bite. It's a great tip and I learned it somewhere here on these boards.

If you see these marks try speeding up to abnormally fast speeds of 3-4 mph or unbearably slow speeds 1-2mph. I did a lot of speed trolling last summer over inactive fish and proved to be very effective . I havn't trolled slow but i know guys that do and they catch fish!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!