Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> how to slow down boat speed, for salmon trolling
Ata83
Posted: Jun 04, 2021 - 10:32 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18995

Hello all,
so Im not able to lower my Speed below 4mph on my 25 foot four winns boat.

would 2 homedepot buckets[5g] be enough to slow me down to 3mph ?

Secondly, I see mixed reviews on where to attach it, clits, or the 2 eyes at the back of the boat ?!
how about the front Eye for both buckets, and trow them off each side of the boat ? dont want to damage the hull.

I am not able to find big enough drift socks to try, so thought id give buckets a try this weekend. any help is appreciate.

I fish the north side of lake O, outside the island all the way to the bluffs.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 04, 2021 - 11:07 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

I have 2, 5 gallon pails with a number or 1 inch holes drilled in them.

My neighbor gave them to me, but I have never used them. He said they worked for him when he had his boat.

If I were to use them, I would run them off the cleats midway down the hull.

You will probably need to try various things to see what works.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jun 04, 2021 - 01:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

In an old boat I had we used a bucket it slowed us down. Our problem was had to be at the back of the boat and it always got in the way of the lines so if you go the bucket rout go from the cleats mid way. but problem there I can see them hitting the side of your boat. If I was you I'd go the extra mile to find the big drift socks with weights. I have one of both weighted and not. Weighted is the only way to go. I used them any more, not even sure where they are.

Have you given a trolling plate any thought. I had one on my 19 searay IO and on my 16ft starcraft. They really work, just don't forget to release before you go.

PMEmail Poster
Surecatch
Posted: Jun 05, 2021 - 07:25 pm

Egg

Member No.: 5523

Easy Roller Trolling Plate - it's basically a flap/plate that goes over and infront of the prop to slow down speed - Bass pro, Cabelas and even Amazon sells them not cheap $150 - $200

PMEmail Poster
Wasagabeach
Posted: Jun 06, 2021 - 08:54 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3362

I picked up 2 bass pro drift socks they slow me down from 3.1 to 1.2mph. I used buckets before and itís a pain when hooked at the back of the boat. Buy a drift sock and it will last for a very long time. Buckets lasted me 2 years before they started to break apart

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 06, 2021 - 12:01 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

If you are going to chase salmon you will eventually have to pony up and get a

Trolling bag, heavier construction than a drift sock

they mount onside cleats with front rope and again towards rear of boat.. they will reduce your speed a great deal depending on the size you get and last for years

I have attached a pic of an older one from Amish outfitters that I punished for 12 years and it just requires the front straps to be resewn. it's a 26 inch bag, you can go bigger as well

pony up and get what does the job

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Ata83
Posted: Jun 07, 2021 - 08:36 am

Alevin

Member No.: 18995

Thank you everyone.
with Covid, its hard to find trolling bags ! but I will keep searching. if anyone recommend a fishing depot, pls let me know.

did some test on bucket this weekend .... to windy to go out, so tried it in harbour, and 2 buckets seemed to work and slow me down, but too much hitting the side of the boat, I dont care but the noise over time wont be pleasant. im sure it will leave marks on the boat too. havent tested it while actually trolling to see the exact speed difference.

I did check out trolling plates, but rather not modify the engine. it just looks like it can collect too much weeds and become a problem.

PMEmail Poster
Sinker75
Posted: Jun 09, 2021 - 09:46 am

Fry

Member No.: 13638

Do you have trim tabs? Are they all the way down?

S.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 09, 2021 - 02:40 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Ata83 @ Jun 07, 2021 - 08:36 am)
Thank you everyone.
with Covid, its hard to find trolling bags ! but I will keep searching. if anyone recommend a fishing depot, pls let me know.

did some test on bucket this weekend .... to windy to go out, so tried it in harbour, and 2 buckets seemed to work and slow me down, but too much hitting the side of the boat, I dont care but the noise over time wont be pleasant. im sure it will leave marks on the boat too. havent tested it while actually trolling to see the exact speed difference.

I did check out trolling plates, but rather not modify the engine. it just looks like it can collect too much weeds and become a problem.

send me a pm, I know of 2 shops that carry them

I also am assuming you have an i/o, so trolling plate pain in da butt and just won't do the job if you are tacking with the wind

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!