Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rigging for lakers, Stumped!
Dewdrop1965
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 08:24 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16249

Hey all !
Well, moved to the area a year ago,invested in my dream boat, kicker,riggers etc.... love to fish but getting a little restless of hours in the boat rigging without results......
Running tons of hours in kempenfelt and the mouth in 80-120+ feet bumping sholes , dragging balls , lite lures, slow (1.5 mph) to mid (2.1) speeds ... I am marking ( not tons ) have good electronics with nav and livewell smells like new......
I have spoken with some vets of the lake and they ar having a hard time also.....
I spent my life fishing and hunting so not green , but sure felling like it trip after trip....
I don't exp to get the honey hole waypoints, was hoping maybe colours , type of spoons etc would be a great start.... did lots of reading etc , I see some jigging has been effective awesome thanks !!
Welcome any feedback from the community would be awesome thanks in advance !!!

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 10:01 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10053

I dont have a boat so i can't help, but if you take some time and go through all the recent threads there is alot of information being shared on whats working and whats not. (maybe look to see if there are any other Lake simcoe forums you can check as well)

Good Luck They skunked me last ice season, cant wait to get out to try again, only 144 days to go. If you ever need someone to not catch fish with shoot me a PM.

PMEmail Poster
Dewdrop1965
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 05:11 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16249

KP thanks thanks for the input. I have done a little browsing and do admit , I have not read the cover to cover primarily only lake trout related adds. Will try to get more in depth as time passes and I become more familiar with the process .
Thanks for the offer on fishing , too funny bud thanks , what town do you live in just in case I take you up on your offer?
Cheers !!

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 10:48 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (Dewdrop1965 @ Aug 10, 2018 - 05:11 pm)
KP thanks thanks for the input. I have done a little browsing and do admit , I have not read the cover to cover primarily only lake trout related adds. Will try to get more in depth as time passes and I become more familiar with the process .
Thanks for the offer on fishing , too funny bud thanks , what town do you live in just in case I take you up on your offer?
Cheers !!

I'm in Newmarket. Hope to see some pics/reports if you are able to get onto them!

tight lines

PMEmail Poster
triton
Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 04:38 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3615

Either on a downrigger bumping bottom with your ball. trolling a christmas tree rig. Or a cowbell.

There is a guy that developed the Precision trolling book. His name is Mark Romanack. He has a show on youtube called fishing 411. Check out some of his episodes on Lakers. Very knowledgeable man.

triton.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 06:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

I commend you on not giving up on the rigging and sticking to it. I love that your putting in so much time and leaving all the Lakers for me to catch jigging. 😝

Just messing with you. Honestly jigging is so effective leave your rigger for lake O. I have riggers and just came back from the Owen Sound Spectacular. Caught salmon both days I was there with my boat partner. I then took them off the boat again in preparation for Simcoe Lakers.

I have found I personally hate beating a dead horse. If it is not working stop and change it up completely. This not only includes lure but presentations. For some reason this year the Verticle presentation is ruling the Simcoe Lakers.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 07:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

I agree with Disco. Even if you on your big boat are equipped with all the downrigger stuff for trolling, IMHO there is really no need to troll for Simcoe laker!

I have been fishing for Simcoe laker on my kayak all tooooo many times, and obviously with my man-power manually paddling, there is simply no way for me to troll nothin' at all!:-)

I simply anchor down, stay "static" on water, and do dead-sticking leaving my lure/swammer bait about anywhere between 20 to 40 feet off bottom, and wait for laker to charge up from bottom of lake towards my lure/bait, and then I reel in fast, and let the laker play "chasing my lure/bait" game until he/she commits suicide!!!:-) If I don't see fish on sonar for a long time, then I move to a different spot/depth, and repeat the same "process", until I land a laker (or two:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
miro
Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 10:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Find some deep water away from the crowds, 3/4 oz jig head and a 4 inch swim bait. Dial in your electronics and use the same methods we use here in the winter months. That should get you started. Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
AlconaKevin
Posted: Sep 06, 2018 - 05:26 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1397

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Sep 05, 2018 - 07:38 pm)
I agree with Disco. Even if you on your big boat are equipped with all the downrigger stuff for trolling, IMHO there is really no need to troll for Simcoe laker!

I have been fishing for Simcoe laker on my kayak all tooooo many times, and obviously with my man-power manually paddling, there is simply no way for me to troll nothin' at all!:-)

I simply anchor down, stay "static" on water, and do dead-sticking leaving my lure/swammer bait about anywhere between 20 to 40 feet off bottom, and wait for laker to charge up from bottom of lake towards my lure/bait, and then I reel in fast, and let the laker play "chasing my lure/bait" game until he/she commits suicide!!!:-) If I don't see fish on sonar for a long time, then I move to a different spot/depth, and repeat the same "process", until I land a laker (or two:-)

X2....exactly right, sometimes you change the sit depth and retrieve speed but this is it.
Try different colour combos too...one day they were hitting orange jigs with pink tails.
Last weekend they liked green and yellow.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Sep 06, 2018 - 07:44 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Sep 05, 2018 - 07:38 pm)

X2,

Same idea for whites instead of reeling up .... drop it down .

PMEmail Poster
linweir
Posted: Sep 06, 2018 - 03:06 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 522

Lakers are spoiled on KBay.
Try on some shoals on main lake.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace