Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> My Last Hurrah
huntnfreak
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 - 07:28 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 934

Hit Willow Beach today. Thank you for advice 4flava. 7 feet worked sort of for me though. Saw 3 whitefish. One bit. Fought for a minute but got off. All good. Iced 10 perch, 4 keepers. The fun part was the 8 pound pike that I caught. What a rush. Will be good eating.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
huntnfreak
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 - 07:33 pm

Fry

Ice was pretty good out there (14 inches hard ice) but shore edge at Willow Beach was a little spooky coming off at 3 pm today.

PMEmail Poster
4flava
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 - 07:42 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 18136

Wow! Glad it worked out for you man! Your experience sounds just like my own. Iíll fillet my pike this week. Was too lazy so I just froze it.

Enjoy my friend!

PMEmail Poster
Donny135
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 - 08:00 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 17736

I've never tried freezing fish then filleting them later. I've always been told not to for some reason, Any real reason I shouldn't? (nice fish, by the way, I haven't even seen a pike this season somehow)

PMEmail Poster
huntnfreak
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 - 08:22 pm

Fry

Cool part was watching all on my old Aqua Vu. Especially the pike. It eyed up my jig for more than a minute. Left. Then just roared in. One of these days, going to upgrade camera to colour and recordable. Remember in my head but love to watch again. Best video game ever.

PMEmail Poster
Donny135
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 01:03 am

Parr Trout

Yeah, I have an aqua vu as well. game changer makes picking spots much easier. and it doesn't get better than constant sight fishing in my opinion

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 06:11 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15901

Pike is very tasty. I don't freeze whole fish for 2 reasons. one is that I don't like cleaning fish, so would hate to have to clean fish without having the fun of catching them just before. Second, I find them to be soft and harder to clean, taste the same just harder for me to clean.

PMEmail Poster
huntnfreak
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 09:00 am

Fry

QUOTE (Donny135 @ Mar 26, 2020 - 06:03 am)
Yeah, I have an aqua vu as well. game changer makes picking spots much easier. and it doesn't get better than constant sight fishing in my opinion

I use it to look for structure mostly. If in North lakes, I fish shallow and near fallen trees for Brookies. Rock piles and stuff for splake and Lakers. And weed edges for walleye. But definitely game changer when watching and reading the fish on Simcoe. And makes you angry to watch all the fish down there and watch them swim away.

PMEmail Poster
Winterfisher
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 09:24 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16638

Pike is an underrated fish. Fished with some thunder bay guys (that were self proclaimed hardcore fishermen) years ago on mille lacs. They arrived as i finished cooking up some pike. Told them it was walleye and they ate it while saying walleye is the best eating fish and would never eat pike. They couldn't tell the difference, changed some minds that day.

PMEmail Poster
earthling
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 09:25 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 17206

QUOTE (Winterfisher @ Mar 26, 2020 - 09:24 am)
Pike is an underrated fish. Fished with some thunder bay guys (that were self proclaimed hardcore fishermen) years ago on mille lacs. They arrived as i finished cooking up some pike. Told them it was walleye and they ate it while saying walleye is the best eating fish and would never eat pike. They couldn't tell the difference, changed some minds that day.

shhhh..! Its our secret

PMEmail Poster
4flava
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 09:32 am

Smolt Trout

And they're fun as heck to fight on a little ice fishing rod LOL.

Yeah, Ideally I would have fillet the pike as soon as I got home but just didn't have it in me. Nonetheless, I will not let the beast go to waste. My family will thoroughly enjoy me fish tacos!

PMEmail Poster
huntnfreak
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 11:26 am

Fry

QUOTE (Winterfisher @ Mar 26, 2020 - 02:24 pm)

My buddy used to go to Nippissing every summer, catch walleye and pike, and invite the friends in surrounding resort cabins over for cookout. Pike was always gone before the walleye.

PMEmail Poster
Donny135
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 12:07 pm

Parr Trout

And pike are WAY more fun to catch than walleye. I never target walleye unless its my buddy's idea.

PMEmail Poster
4flava
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 12:10 pm

Smolt Trout

Fun: Pike>Walleye

Eat: Kinda even but I'll give the nod to Walleye>Pike simply because I don't have to deal with Y bones. lol

PMEmail Poster
riplipsdrinkbusch
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 - 07:49 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12688

Out of all the fish I have ate in my life wether store bought or caught my self. By far the pike I catch are the best tasting fillets I have ever had. A little tricky to fillet compared to other species but there still pretty easy to cut up. I just started filleting pike a couple years ago and only ever had one bone and I learned on YouTube lol

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!