Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake Nipissing appears quiet
smalleye99
Posted: Jun 01, 2020 - 09:45 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 14006

Not a survey of the entire lake but the NB shoreline sure seems quiet. The most trucks and trailers I have seen at the city launch is 3. I haven't seen two boats within eyesight of each other. Water too cold still or what am I missing?

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jun 01, 2020 - 09:51 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Possibly Covid 19 is playing a roll ?

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jun 02, 2020 - 08:18 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3521

Likely covid.

They are biting, just we keep getting crap weather on the weekends. East winds and cold fronts.

PMEmail Poster
moocow
Posted: Jun 02, 2020 - 02:30 pm

Fry

Member No.: 5234

I imagine the major reason is I don't believe your allowed to have anyone in your boat besides family from the same address and resorts are not allowed to rent cottages ? If the local OPP are out patrolling, will fishermen be questioned and charges $ 750 / piece ? Or are they really enforcing the mandate ?

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jun 02, 2020 - 03:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (moocow @ Jun 02, 2020 - 02:30 pm)
I imagine the major reason is I don't believe your allowed to have anyone in your boat besides family from the same address and resorts are not allowed to rent cottages ? If the local OPP are out patrolling, will fishermen be questioned and charges $ 750 / piece ? Or are they really enforcing the mandate ?

I heard they are enforcing and handing out fines..They are asking boaters where they are launching from, if reply is from lodge/ fishing resort both mnr and opp are fining the offending business..

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Jun 02, 2020 - 04:18 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Jun 02, 2020 - 03:03 pm)
QUOTE (moocow @ Jun 02, 2020 - 02:30 pm)

I heard they are enforcing and handing out fines..They are asking boaters where they are launching from, if reply is from lodge/ fishing resort both mnr and opp are fining the offending business..

That's certainly discouraging to hear fishmagnet.
Lodges, camp operators and all those families that earn a living from lake tourism are suffering financially along with many other small business' in this province that have yet to fully reopen or recover.
I've not seen any enforcement or been stopped, so far this year. Generally, we'd run into the OMNR or at least the OPP for sure by now...maybe it's just the timing of our trips out.
The south shore is very quiet...main lake quiet as well. I only see a small percentage of the normal boat traffic passing by daily.
The lack of visitors to the lodges and camps is clearly obvious.
The camp in our bay is silent...it should be booming with fisherman and happy chatter this time of year...followed by families starting the end of June...but nothing so far...the camp boats are ready, parked on shore, waiting for the tourists to arrive.
It feels more like October then May/June as far as lake activity is concerned.
The usual heavily targeted fishing spots visible from our place...are virtually untouched so far this season.
Many a trip out I see only a few boats as far as the eye can see.
And it's a shame...the fishing has been tremendous on Nipissing since the pickerel opener...the heat wave we experienced, a little over a week ago, ignited the bite.
Here's hoping all the visiting fishermen and families will soon be able to return.

PM
Goshawk
Posted: Jun 03, 2020 - 08:11 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11890

I'm booked into a camp on Callander Bay later this summer. I'm hoping things loosen up by then and everything's allowed to open up again.

PMEmail Poster
vinnylep
Posted: Jun 03, 2020 - 03:10 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 11894

we have a trip booked for June 9th
The camp we stay at says they are open.
We rent a pontoon from another camp and they have advised they are also open for business

We have 7 guys staying in two cottages not sure what we should do?

PMEmail Poster
fishfearus
Posted: Jun 04, 2020 - 07:48 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 13852

Pontoon boat. Who rents one of those, that's awesome.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Jun 04, 2020 - 12:28 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (vinnylep @ Jun 03, 2020 - 03:10 pm)
we have a trip booked for June 9th
The camp we stay at says they are open.
We rent a pontoon from another camp and they have advised they are also open for business

We have 7 guys staying in two cottages not sure what we should do?

Lodges and short term rentals will be allowed to begin operations again this week...just waiting to hear any official announcement from the province. Congrats to the tourist operators...and the tourists.

PM
FishBait
Posted: Jun 04, 2020 - 01:08 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 10143

Had to cancel our trip due to the closed border. I would imagine that has had a major impact on lake traffic.

PMEmail Poster
tonyrome69
Posted: Jun 04, 2020 - 03:30 pm

Fry

Member No.: 1581

Geez I hope you're right. Been going for thirty years and love it up there. Have kind of resigned to the fact it might not happen this year but this gives us some hope. We follow all the protocols they have been calling for so it would be no different than being at home.Hopin everything works out. I read the posts of folks catching fish along with the pics and get excited. Like a kid at Christmas time. Take care and everyone stay healthy.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Jun 04, 2020 - 06:02 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

The Government just loves stringing everyone along. Power tripping " tune in next week for more big announcements" .

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 04, 2020 - 08:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Is it just me or not, because I find the whole thing very confusing.

Okay, so cottage rentals are ok now as long as there is a "plan" in place

How many people in a cottage ??? Family only and 5 or 5 from anywhere?

How do you social distance in a cottage?

Does the cottage need to be disinfected after the group leaves.

In the meantime you cannot go camping in your RV, doesn't make sense

Icing on the cake is rbbs in Toronto open so expect more parties going on

Somebody enlighten me on the plan here please

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ldub
Posted: Jun 05, 2020 - 06:21 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

Tune in next week for more big announcements.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!