Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New prop for motor
Live_To_Fish
Posted: Oct 25, 2018 - 04:00 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3513

Hey guys, looking at putting a new prop on my 98' Merc 75hp 2 stroke as its time for a replacement and not sure which one I should get and was just checking on here to see if anyone had any suggestions. Just not sure on pitch, or whats better alluminum, composite or stainless steel, I know they all have there own pros/cons, basically I'm looking for good overall speed and good control at high speed, boat already handles great but am just curious as to your guys thoughts. Thanks in advance.

The boat is a 17ft dual console aluminum if that's any help.

I'm not using the boat until next spring but I can always ask my mechanic if need be, just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

PMEmail Poster
Chad
Posted: Oct 25, 2018 - 08:07 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13508

I have the same motor. I have a stainless high five. Boat is a 16í fibreglass bass boat. Gets quick hole shot and moves me at 40mph with rpms at about 5600.Donít think I would go back to a three blade aluminum. However, cost is a big difference if ya had to buy one. Talk to a good marine mechanic and tell him what you want out of the boat and they will give suggestions. I would suggest call the guys at Buckhorn Yacht Harbour. Ask to talk to the prop shop, they know there stuff.

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Oct 26, 2018 - 06:39 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

We have a stainless on ours but also have a couple composites we use for some river fishing or if its a new lake we don't know well . The composites are a lot cheaper and have saved us money on engine repairs over the years from logs and rock ledges . We have good map chips in our units but they don't cover all the lakes and rivers we fish .

PMEmail Poster
Live_To_Fish
Posted: Oct 26, 2018 - 11:11 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3513

Good info, thanks guys. Like I said in the post, the boat is like twenty years old and so is the prop, noticed a few dings on it the other day so I figure it's about time for a new one, was just curious if anyone had any preference on stainless, composite or aluminum. I know they all have there advantages but since this is gonna be a pretty big purchase and considering all the options I was just looking for a little insight. Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 26, 2018 - 05:52 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

Twenty years and no complaints. Put a new one on and change nothing.

It's only a 75. You have very little territory to play with.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace