Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> wolseley bay-french river
Kaytar
Posted: Sep 09, 2018 - 08:20 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9385

Hi Guys going to be fishing the wolseley Bay Area of the French oct 18-21..any tips or advice other then to bring my long underwear? lol. Should I be concerned about an algae bloom or water clarity at this time at all??? Also this area seems to be proceed fairly well incase wind kicks up...there appears to be a decent amount of area to hide and fish if this happens..is this true? Also anyone know if this area is on the new 1 foot contour avionic chips? Any help appreciated guys...should say this is strictly a musky hunt...thanks again!!!!!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 09, 2018 - 09:30 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

been a long time since we used to go there {20 years ago +], but it was the go to every thanksgiving for us before we had our own place, caught the biggest muskie of my life there and saw many other giants. water will be pretty cold and weeds dying off to dead, never remember a problem with water clarity. I find structure is king that time of year.
thanksgiving we saw everything from t-shirts and shorts to 3" of snow in the boat and the kettle frozen in the morning.
if your looking for muskie its a solid choice, or at least was.

good luck, I just had to respond as it brings back great memories.

PMEmail Poster
Kaytar
Posted: Sep 09, 2018 - 10:12 am

Alevin

awesome man thanks...it all helps..will let people know how it goes afterwards as well!!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Sep 09, 2018 - 01:16 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

I was just at Memquisit last week, just a few KM away on the West Arm. I would think water clarity should be no problem as there's rarely an algae bloom in colder water. The water temp was just below 70deg last week, and I would suspect it will be mid-sixties or less by mid-Oct....depending on weather conditions between now and then.
I targeted bass the entire time, and the largemouth were caught in hydrilla. But as Westarm mentioned, the weeds should be well on the way to dying off by then. Have no fear....there will be tons of rocky shoals to choose from. And hiding from the wind should be no issue. You'll have one side or the other of so many island and extended points everywhere you look.
Good luck and enjoy!!

PMEmail Poster
pumpkinseed55
Posted: Sep 11, 2018 - 02:37 pm

Egg

Member No.: 12460

I will be at lochaven the weekend before you are there.

For musky it is a difficult water to figure out, although there are some BIG fish in there.

Try bull dawgs in current and reefs and try to find the warmest water you can. This is a large body of water so dont get you hopes up.

Muskies canada frequents this area at this time of year and the past 2 years have done poorly, like 1 fish between 25 guys over 2 years ( please correct me if Im wrong as this is just heresy from the guys I talked to). Like i said it can be tough.

BUUUT

My largest ski has come from there over 50'' and ive had follows that would dwarf that fish.

Also break out the biggest crank you have and troll the islands in and around the chaudiere channel (if you can find it lol)

Also make sure your boat and motor are good to go with emergency supplies. If your engine doesnt start and your 15 km from camp no one is around to help. Its dead at this time of year and there are few and far between cottages once your out of wolseley bay.

Respect the shoals and watch out for the twins as they will eat your lower end.

Good Luck!

PMEmail Poster
Kaytar
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 01:11 pm

Alevin

Thanks guy appreciate all the help....we will do our best have had lots of success on st clair ..kawarthas and upper niagara...this will be a fun experience and challenge....our goal is to see one....at least see it lol One last thing i know its not on the navionics chip but can any one point me in the direction of and sort of mapping at all????

This post has been edited by Kaytar on Sep 19, 2018 - 01:17 pm

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 06:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

PMEmail Poster
Kaytar
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 01:08 pm

Alevin

yah thats what i use but the lower french area is not been done...sadly

PMEmail Poster
JustJiggin
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 - 09:19 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9565

Well, how did everyone make out on WBay? Any luck?

PMEmail Poster
pumpkinseed55
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 - 12:06 pm

Egg

Member No.: 12460

double digits on walleyes each day i fished. It was a strong morning bite that tapered off quite dramatically. Had a 50+ follow without commit on the 8 and talked to some other guys that saw big fish moving as well. None caught. My largest eye was a 20 and a 22 was caught by another boat.

Overall fairly modest with a good deal of eaters mixed in.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Oct 25, 2018 - 08:43 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (pumpkinseed55 @ Oct 24, 2018 - 02:06 pm)
double digits on walleyes each day i fished. It was a strong morning bite that tapered off quite dramatically. Had a 50+ follow without commit on the 8 and talked to some other guys that saw big fish moving as well. None caught. My largest eye was a 20 and a 22 was caught by another boat.

Overall fairly modest with a good deal of eaters mixed in.

Sounds like you did alright on the walleye......at least you managed to get a taste

PMEmail Poster
JustJiggin
Posted: Oct 25, 2018 - 11:35 am

Smolt Trout

Awesome about the eys, too bad that musky didn't hit. On the 8, too. Geez. I've dreamt about that...lol.

We are headed up this weekend. 5 guys, 2 boats. Targeting musky, so hope we can get one to commit.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

PMEmail Poster
Kaytar
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:42 am

Alevin

we didnt even see a fish in the 4 days...beauty area tho and will be back..some sketchy as hell rocks and stumps about tho...slo go and be careful

PMEmail Poster
JustJiggin
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 05:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Same story for us. Didn't even lay an eye on a ski.

So cold... had a couple bonfires to warm up each day.

Oh well, next time!

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 08:42 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (JustJiggin @ Nov 07, 2018 - 07:17 pm)
Same story for us. Didn't even lay an eye on a ski.

So cold... had a couple bonfires to warm up each day.

Oh well, next time!

A weekend on the water is still better than a weekend on the couch

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace