Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> opeongo camping and lakers
grampa
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 08:21 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7317

up at the park last weekend for our annual camping trip. i have never seen the big lake so calm for 3 days , perfect weather and no rain. trip started bad ,the propane bottle i was told was full turned out to be empty. good thing buddy had a couple small bottles with him. we set up camp and went out to fish for a couple of hours. just set out one rigger and while setting the other the cable backlashed kinked and snapped cannonball gone. down to one rigger for 3 days my buddy had a steel line with the line wrapped inside the spool so we had to take the old penn reel apart with a kitchen knife and pliers. the fishing was not great the first day but got better each day.one rigger line with a cheater line produced all the fish except one on the steel line. most fish caught on the cheater. marked lots of fish on the bottom but the ones around 45 feet where the most active. you could say we had three double headers as 3 times we caught 2 fish on the same line, one on the main one on the cheater.all fish caught were on the small side but we managed to get 4 to keep with a total of 20 fish caught, our best total in all the years we have been there. started bad but ended good.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 08:22 pm

Smolt Trout

nice and calm

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 08:23 pm

Smolt Trout

outdoor kitchen

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 08:27 pm

Smolt Trout

one more for the pan

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 11:30 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

Nice going grampa. Looks like a nice spot to spend a few days. A bit odd that the steel didn't produce better considering how many came up for the cheater. I'll be in the park for the closing weekend and can't wait.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 08:43 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Looks like a great place to camp, glad to hear your luck turned around and the fishing was good. The little things pi$$ you off at the time but next year you will be laughing about it, that is what these annual trips are all about.

PMEmail Poster
Dinky
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 09:39 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 212

Murphy's law......there's always something eh?

Thanks for posting.....looked like a great outing!

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 11:20 am

Smolt Trout

yes a great place for sure we are lucky to have such places to enjoy . the steel line may have produced more if we had used it more ,only put it out a few times. it was all we ever used to use before i got downriggers.allready looking foreward to next year just ordered a new tent ,should be good to go

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 11:24 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Sep 19, 2018 - 02:30 am)
Nice going grampa. Looks like a nice spot to spend a few days. A bit odd that the steel didn't produce better considering how many came up for the cheater. I'll be in the park for the closing weekend and can't wait.

just a heads up chuck enwinde the hot spoon was a 4 inch lucky strike canoe bait white color with a big red spot on it dan

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 05:03 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

Nice trip! ...that's the same site we've stayed on the last 6 or 7 years. We try to get it every time...great for pulling the boats up, and out of the wind most days. Accessible to many great fishing areas.

Just stayed there a month ago! We got I think around 20 each, lakers and smallies...love being on Opeongo!

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 06:08 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7520

Opeongo is such a great lake - especially when the wind isn't blowing! Nice pics; thanks for posting.

PMEmail Poster
Dinnger
Posted: Sep 21, 2018 - 07:22 am

Fry

Member No.: 10806

Nice fish !! Great lake to be out on !!

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Sep 21, 2018 - 08:45 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Thanks for the report Grampa and very nice fish

Love backwoods camping and fishing. Wish I could do it more often.

Well done...

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: Sep 23, 2018 - 09:09 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

Love those pics. Looks like a great place, nice set up.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace