Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Turkeys, Sunday moring
sabmgb
Posted: May 06, 2019 - 07:18 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15901

Yesterday was an amazing day for watching turkey, not so good for shooting them. Started right a legal shooting time with a big tom and jake in the field west of me and slowly working towards me, but out in the field 200 yds. Then couple hens to the east of me, so was figuring I was in perfect spot, till hens moved out in the field to far. While watching tom getting closer and hens moving closer I spot another strutting tom couple hundred yards further west with 3 hens. pretty soon the original turkeys meet in the middle but 100yds out in front. The hens decide they like the other guy better so keep walking with tom and jake in tow. Then they all move further west. By 9 I decide maybe I can get closer so try walking through bush towards them, but to wet and noisy. Get to about 100yds and give up. Now there are 4 big toms and all the hens and jake. They just keep walking away. So I head home.

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: May 06, 2019 - 09:42 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

Sounds like a great morning even though you didn't get a turkey.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: May 06, 2019 - 10:07 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

QUOTE (sabmgb @ May 06, 2019 - 07:18 am)
Yesterday was an amazing day for watching turkey, not so good for shooting them.  Started right a legal shooting time with a big tom and jake in the field west of me and slowly working towards me, but out in the field 200 yds.  Then couple hens to the east of me, so was figuring I was in perfect spot, till hens moved out in the field to far.  While watching tom getting closer and hens moving closer I spot another strutting tom couple hundred yards further west with 3 hens.  pretty soon the original turkeys meet in the middle but 100yds out in front.  The hens decide they like the other guy better so keep walking with tom and jake in tow.  Then they all move further west.  By 9 I decide maybe I can get closer so try walking through bush towards them, but to wet and noisy.  Get to about 100yds and give up.  Now there are 4 big toms and all the hens and jake.  They just keep walking away.  So I head home.

Might as well plagiarize your report is pretty much the same.
Headed up into thick fog almost made me turn around but the promise of a warm sunny day pushed me on slow and steady got me there Okay.
Sunrise was surprisingly quiet but a lone hen eventually showed up beside me. Stood out in front of me just like a decoy and even made some yelps. Figured the black widow would do all the work for me. But to no avail after about 15 minutes of standing and yelping to no response she slowly walked into the bush behind me for what I can only guess a bit of running and gunning.
When the fog finally fully lifted with the bino's could see my problem. Couple of Toms where working about 5 hens. With 2 open fields, a road, and another 2 fields between me and them and with only one way into the property all I could do was watch them work back and forth.
What had happened after talking to the landowner 2 other hunters had been there before me earlier in week and pushed the birds off.
Got a plan ready for Tuesday. Looks like I'll be blind bound as its calling for rain but an early morning sit and wait may be what's needed.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace