Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 1999 Mercury 225 efi anyone know a good mechanic
jayazoomy
Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 06:47 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3901

So my motor has a slight miss fire at low rpms 800-1800 took it to a marina wonít say the name of it as was very unhappy with the work. They had the boat for 3 weeks and all he did was change the plugs and wiggle some wires and said he canít get it to do it he is out to lunch starting it in my driveway you can hear it clearly he was the worst mechanic I have seen gave me a bill for 400$ for nothing.was wondering if anyone had a good Mercury mechanic they use or any recommendations on what might be causing the misfire if anyone on here has any knowledge on these beast motors lol

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 10:38 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

I know 2 who are very good.

Ted at Speed Master is top notch. He builds Mercury race engines and knows those big motors inside and out.

Paul at Top Gun marine is also building Mercury race engines and works on a lot of Bass tournament motors.

Currently I had both work on stuff. Paul is super swamped so it might be a bit long wait.

PMEmail Poster
pandakiller
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 12:12 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13176

sounds like a pretty easy fix you either need new plug wires or a new coil if you have a multi metre set it to resistance and test the ht leads then the coils check the coil for cracks or burns/melting the cylinder with the dirtiest plug should point you to the most likely culprit and if your not mechanically inclined brian at on your way home marina on hwy 11 south just north of orillia is a pretty stand up guy one of the few honest mechanics left out there

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 12:16 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

I'd take it to Tony at Extreme Marine - 427 and Steeles.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 11:23 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

I know a guy around the Peterborough/Scarborough townline. He is a fireman and on the 2 weeks on 2 weeks off schedule. His two weeks off he works on mercury outboards and is very reasonable. The marina up in Orillia could not find or fix my outboard. Took them two weeks to tell me that they cannot fix it and handed me a $250 bill. I took it to him and 3 days later it was perfect. He didnít use new parts as we could not get them. He has a shop full of old outboards and put a working part in. No issue for last 3 years. Cost me $100 with his labour.
Pm me if you need his contact info

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 03:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Jul 23, 2018 - 12:16 am)
I'd take it to Tony at Extreme Marine - 427 and Steeles.

x2 ... expensive but very good with them big motors .

Then again if you want to play you have to pay running a big engine.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jul 24, 2018 - 09:17 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

If not the coil plug or stator....it will be the power pack if so equipped.

PS....powerpacks are not cheap.

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace