Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Safety concerns on ice, Fishing near mouth of french
RAM3500
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 12:45 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11509

Heading up this Friday for a few days. Has anyone been near the french river opening area.
Not sure of water current in that area but fishing near Blueberry and Sandy Island. Heading up with my son and would want to play it safe. Ice thickness ?

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 06:35 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12683

Although I know nothing of the French area i do know there are plenty of other safe spots to catch fish. Warm weather and current are not a good mix.There was about 9 inches of good ice off the North shore but in only a couple hours the crack 1 mile out changed and got nasty looking.

PMEmail Poster
chris.brock
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 08:54 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14874

Out by Sandy Island I doubt there would be much current.

How do you access that part of the lake for ice fishing? Is there an outfitter there?

PMEmail Poster
RAM3500
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 11:33 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (chris.brock @ Jan 11, 2021 - 08:54 pm)
Out by Sandy Island I doubt there would be much current.

How do you access that part of the lake for ice fishing? Is there an outfitter there?

By Skidoo. Entering by Hunters Bay then its about 20 km to get there.
Wanted some locals for some feedback. If I don't get some Ill have to venture out along shore out 1000 ft till l get there.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 04:47 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4328

I got your message although it doesn't seem to be in my inbox any more. I don't know much about that area either, unfortunately. The ice is 8+ on the north shore but the ice is wierd this year. Be careful out there.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 04:59 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3521

High of Zero the next 4 days, staying pretty mild at night as well. I wouldn't risk it. Current or no current, you know if most of the lake is 8-9", there's gonna be spots less than that and it's gonna soften up. I wouldn't trust 4" of soft ice, especially if I'm going 10-20km out and I don't know where it is.

PMEmail Poster
RAM3500
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 08:08 am

Trophy Trout

Sounds good. Thanks for the feed back.

PMEmail Poster
moose1948
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 08:26 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10864

Good luck if you go Ram let us know how you do from a smithville boy

PMEmail Poster
Warlock
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 08:32 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8012

I usually fish out by blueberry/target but haven't made the trek this year because of ice conditions.IMO I'd wait for some colder weather,who knows where the currents are amongst the islands.There is also lake access off of nipissing street in Sturgeon Falls,probably 7 or 8 kms trek,always 1 but sometimes 2 pressure cracks to cross.Be safe.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 12:08 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Completely agree with Warlock.
Most I know at the west end of the lake travel across the ice from Sturgeon...way closer then heading that far down the south shore.
Personally, I wouldn't head down the south shore from Hunters Bay...but if you go, just make sure you have 'everything' necessary for safety....your son (wing man) a good start...for me, insulated floater suits are a nice addition, with communication and locational equipment attached in a water proof container...and all the other winter safety equipment as always.
Ice thickness is an obvious issue particularly near islands and invisible sunken reefs, pressure cracks another obstacle...but blizzards and sudden whiteouts (often not forecasted), out of almost every direction, except maybe out of the south at times...can obliterate visibility within minutes along that stretch. And the mouth of the French acts like the neck of a giant funnel...water and currents behaving accordingly.
As others have said...there's very good (and safer) locational options much closer to any number of departure points on the north shore, south bay and eastern end of the lake...even if you're looking for a more isolated fishing experience.
Good luck, safe travels.

PM

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!