Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Survival suit on a boat?
Fishsniffer
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 05:45 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 1597

If your wearing a survival suit on a boat is that still considered a life vest ?

Or in other words do you still need to have a life vest on board if the suit has one built in ?

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 06:00 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

I believe a survival suit does count as a life vest. This time last year for example, I did just that (wearing my ice fishing survival suit, with NO extra life vest/PFD, on a buddy's boat), and we were stopped and checked at the launch when we returned after fishin. The YRP police officer checked EVERYTHING on us (PFD, flash light, whistle, rope,...). No issue

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 06:07 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

It depends on the suit. It has to have a label that says approved by one of Transport Canada, Canadian Coast Guard or Fisheries and Oceans Canada. At least technically. I wear a Striker suit and an Arctic Armour and neither are approved. We always have life vests in the boat for compliance but it makes more sense to wear the suit.

More info here - https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/marine/get....html#standards

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 07:27 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Nov 02, 2018 - 06:07 am)
It depends on the suit. It has to have a label that says approved by one of Transport Canada, Canadian Coast Guard or Fisheries and Oceans Canada. At least technically. I wear a Striker suit and an Arctic Armour and neither are approved. We always have life vests in the boat for compliance but it makes more sense to wear the suit.

More info here - https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/marine/get....html#standards

x2.

it has to be coast guard approved in order to replace it as a life vest. Not all flotation suites have this certification.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 07:56 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

When I was stopped by a police officer checking on me upon my return to shore/launch on a boat from lake, he didn't check and verify my Mastang Survival Catalyst Flotation Jacket/Coat that I was wearing. Maybe per the "MASTANG SURVIVAL" label/logo on the front of the jacket, he already knew it is of "Coast Guard Approved"?...

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
AlconaKevin
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 08:54 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1397

Floatation devices just need to be present in boat and available to all persons on boat. Its not a seatbelt type law, if buddy has spare life jacket on boat you are clear.
Up to you to be smart...and wear it.

PMEmail Poster
woodie54
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:27 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 503

If you have an inflatable life jacket, it does not count unless you are wearing it. Could have twenty of them in the boat, but they mean nothing.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:56 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

QUOTE (AlconaKevin @ Nov 02, 2018 - 08:54 am)
Floatation devices just need to be present in boat and available to all persons on boat. Its not a seatbelt type law, if buddy has spare life jacket on boat you are clear.

That statement does not apply to all bodies of water. On Some bodies of water it is required for you to actually be wearing a PFD while vessel is underway. (mainly in the states, and some lakes that are connected to Canada/US border).

PMEmail Poster
evanxrs
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 10:39 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2190

Ill Mirror everyone comments that it is considered a PDF/Lifejacket for compliance if it is approved.

Not sure how many people have actually tried to swim in a survival suit. Every summer I jump off the dock in it to clean it and provides me with a reminder it is not at all like swimming with a lifejacket on.

It quickly fills with water and you cannot swim. It is one thing falling through the ice and having more ice around you so you can gather yourself and get back out on to the ice which it mostly close. You fall out in open water and your not swimming. Soon after it is in the water it becomes saturated. It helps you float but not for a long time. When I am out in the colder weather and have it on I often also throw on another lifejacket (inflatable) or have it close.

Everyone who wears one should experience it's limitations. Please wear it in the summer and go for a swim in it.

oh yea, dont forget to throw a pair of boots on and other warm clothing under.

PMEmail Poster
Steve_Guelph
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 02:38 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16423

I fish the Niagara River all winter and the law is you must wear your life jacket starting November 01st if your boat is 21’ or under. As mentioned inflatables must be worn not just on the vessel. Also read the manufactures website of your inflatable....”most” state not to be used in temperature below freezing.

Steve

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 03:34 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

I believe it needs to be orange to be approved.

PMEmail Poster
Woodsman
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 477

QUOTE (Fishing Rod @ Nov 02, 2018 - 03:34 pm)
I believe it needs to be orange to be approved.

No.

PMEmail Poster
Woodsman
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:36 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 477

QUOTE (AlconaKevin @ Nov 02, 2018 - 08:54 am)

Not exactly true.
It must be Canadian approved (on Canadian registered boats) and must fit as you are dressed.

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 11:38 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

My one piece Keepafloat is an approved PFD. As per the inside tags.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Nov 04, 2018 - 04:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

Perfect good to know .

Going to double check mine make sure it is approved .

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace