Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Chemong bite?
Flukes
Posted: Mar 11, 2019 - 08:32 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15807

Has anyone fished Chemong (far south of the causeway) among the little high-density hut village over the last few days? How's the bite and any issues with ice (I suspect it's very thick but any thing to watch for?). I'm headed up to Peterborough tomorrow for a couple of hours of work and planning to give it a try - haven't fished there since first ice. And if people are catching, any tips on where in the water column and baits that are working? Do I need to get some minnows? (hope not - one less thing to worry about).

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 11, 2019 - 08:53 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16820

I'll be out there tomorrow. I like to fish in about 7 feet of water. I've got a hot spot that's been great for crappie. Using a forage minnow with a minnow.

My dad has had good luck using a slip bobber with weighted hook and live minnow as well.

I haven't had much luck using plastic baits at all. I fish near the hut city but not in the crowd. If you see a double tent out there come and say hi I don't mind.

The ice was around 18-20" last time I was out I doubt there's any problems there.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 11, 2019 - 09:26 pm

Smolt Trout

Thanks for the info and invite. My wife and I are hoping to get out there at about noonish. We will probably be in a black and red flip-over. We are likely to start near the hut village and then move if we are not getting anything. Will look out for your double.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 - 07:00 pm

Smolt Trout

Out there by about noon. The hut village is gone (I assumed because folks moved all their perms out on the last weekend before the 15th. But in about an hour of fishing, only about 10 dink perch (fished all around the area through about 20 holes). I guess it wasn't just because the perm huts had to come off the ice....there wasn't much left in the area. The weeds look like they were doing badly as well so that made sense. It wasn't worth staying any longer.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 - 08:32 pm

Parr Trout

I was hoping to see you out there. Found your holes, you made quite a few.

You should have stayed later. The bite tonight was incredible.

Put about 16 on ice. Tons of dinks. Pulled out some decent sized bass as well which was fun.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 - 09:15 pm

Smolt Trout

Nice. Yeah, I know the dusk-evening bite is much better but it was brutal in the afternoon. I know another spot (I should have tried) that have produced in the afternoon. And with the time change, it would be far too late for me to get home after fishing the dusk/evening bite (long drive back to the GTA). For sure the bass are fun...I fished early ice this season and was able to keep a few before bass season closed (it was the first ever for me - actually the first day I fished and caught bass, I released...just too automatic...until I realized I was still able to keep them). If I get up there again for work and the weather is decent and shore ice still allows access, I may try again before the season is over.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 - 09:41 pm

Parr Trout

For sure do the evening bite. I like to get out around 330-400. The fish activity charts have been bang on for good bites. PM me if you are getting out again!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 07:56 pm

Smolt Trout

It may be possible for me to fish next Tuesday again but again only for a couple of hours from about noon-2-3ish at the latest. I like the early ice because it got dark quickly and I was able to stay a bit when the sun was starting to get lower then but now with the time change, I'm all messed up with the crappie fishing....I guess I need to try to find some deeper water where they may be hiding before they make the move to shallows to feed at dark

PMEmail Poster
rayray89
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 08:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6253

That's a sweet bag . Bet your glad you didnt go to simcoe eh

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 08:53 am

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Flukes @ Mar 13, 2019 - 07:56 pm)
It may be possible for me to fish next Tuesday again but again only for a couple of hours from about noon-2-3ish at the latest. I like the early ice because it got dark quickly and I was able to stay a bit when the sun was starting to get lower then but now with the time change, I'm all messed up with the crappie fishing....I guess I need to try to find some deeper water where they may be hiding before they make the move to shallows to feed at dark

The afternoon bite in the shallows is a snoozer, generally don't see much in the way of people fishing around that time for good reason.

I was disappointed about not getting onto Simcoe but that went away once the fishing kicked into high gear.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 06:49 pm

Smolt Trout

I have another spot on the lake a bit further and have caught some fish during the day (it's just a bit deeper)...may try there if I can't stay for the better bite times. I'll likely be gone before you get on the ice. So may be next year we'll meet on the ice one day.

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Mar 17, 2019 - 04:04 pm

Parr Trout

I'll be out again this week. Plenty of ice out there and not much competition out there

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 17, 2019 - 05:26 pm

Smolt Trout

Sounds great. Early ice was like that and I couldn't believe I had the lake to myself (esp. that spot - then it got crazy with all the huts). Nice to have a quiet day of fishing esp. if you are able to fish the right time and get the bite. I am still planning/hoping to fish on Tuesday when I am up there again but I think given that I can't fish the dusk/dark bite, I will try a couple of km north in a bay that I have done better during daylight hours (if I can find them that is - can take some time to do so). Again, just able to fish a couple of hours and then I have to take off to run a bunch of errands so won't make it past about 3pm (3:30pm at the latest). Good luck if you get out there. I'm goign to try to bring some minnows and hope for a better result than tiny bait sized perch.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 - 09:22 pm

Smolt Trout

Hi KRASHED. Hope you were able to get out and get some - it was a nice day. In the end I wasn't even able to fish today even though I was up at Ptbo. Maybe next week, the weather's good and the ice holds up (should).

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace