Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Downrigger Snubbers, I got big balls
reelinginthebigone
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 - 09:46 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 18443

Hey all,

I'm using 18 lbs downrigger sharks on Cannon Mag 10s, and I've already lost one this year. I'm now anal about checking my terminators and wire, but I'd like to add downrigger snubbers on the lines.

I'm looking at the Scotty 370 Downrigger snubbers, you know, the blue ones. I called Scotty and he said they're recommended up to 15 lbs balls, but the 18s should work, but it'll stretch quite a bit.

Anyone use snubbers with heavy balls like 18s+? If so, what do you use?

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 - 10:18 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Here's another option, they have a 500lb Spectra cord inside the rubber tube, doubt you'll loose any balls. They have enough stretch to cancel the sharp jerking.
Amish snubbers.

PM
Disco
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 - 10:55 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

I watched a YouTuber who uses 20lb balls. He uses two snubbers for those which seems to be a good solution.

PMEmail Poster
reelinginthebigone
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 - 11:40 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 18443

QUOTE (Disco @ Aug 23, 2022 - 10:55 am)
I watched a YouTuber who uses 20lb balls. He uses two snubbers for those which seems to be a good solution.

Fisherman - I can't seem to find any of those Amish downrigger snubbers in stock anywhere. I did find some Amish planer board snubbers at Grimsby's tackle though. They LOOK like the same snubbers, but they are 24 inch. The gentlemen mentioned I could possibly trim them down to the size I needed.

Disco - That's been my thought. I might just double up those Scotty snubbers.

The reason I don't really like the Amish ones with the #500 Spectra, is that if the ball does get hung up, then I lose my fishhawk too. With the weaker Scotty ones, they'll probably break before my terminator does /shrug

UPDATE: I tied 17.5 lbs of dumbbell weights together and tried the snubber in my basement. It looks like it's holding up pretty well. I'll update later tomorrow after my morning fishing and let everyone how it went. Hopefully, I still have two sharks left lol

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 - 08:28 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

i use those on my planer boards and they have never failed, but not on cannonballs.......

If you can't find them . give Frank Kittrick a call

update..i just thought about this some more and with the stretch i would be concerned about those weights smacking my boat if they swing too far

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!