Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Opeongo camping trip, followed by splake day
Drew
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 07:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (Fishquest @ Aug 21, 2019 - 01:02 pm)
Thanks for the great report.

Did you jig them up or troll for them.

My last two summers there I caught most of mine suspended trolling deep water down 30 feet of riggers on spoons.

Saving this year's trip for September and can't wait.

Trolling wire line

PMEmail Poster
Fishquest
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 05:44 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16737

QUOTE (Drew @ Aug 21, 2019 - 07:14 pm)
QUOTE (Fishquest @ Aug 21, 2019 - 01:02 pm)
Thanks for the great report.

Did you jig them up or troll for them.

My last two summers there I caught most of mine suspended trolling deep water down 30 feet of riggers on spoons.

Saving this year's trip for September and can't wait.

Trolling wire line

Cool Thanks

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 - 03:47 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7317

nice job drew do a trip there every year myself looks like its gonna be late september this year. can i ask east arm or north arm. we always camp on the big island in the east arm if we can get our spot. know the east arm well always lots of small lakers with 4lbers being about the biggest.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 - 06:33 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (grampa @ Aug 25, 2019 - 03:47 pm)
nice job drew do a trip there every year myself looks like its gonna be late september this year. can i ask east arm or north arm. we always camp on the big island in the east arm if we can get our spot. know the east arm well always lots of small lakers with 4lbers being about the biggest.

Yup, east arm also. Same exact campsite as you, if I remember correctly from your pics last year. Just around the point, out of the wind, on the gravel beach campsite.

As you say, most are under 4lb, but we've havd a few over the years in around 7 & 8 pounds, as well as a couple 19's.

Good luck in September

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 - 07:05 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7317

thanks sounds like the same place alright

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 07:24 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

Well done Drew,Awesome report!

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 08:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Wow--well done.

So maybe Michael K and I have been wasting our time and energy going into the depths of Algon looking for spring lakers? Sounds like all we had/have to do is paddle up Opey.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Aug 31, 2019 - 07:33 am

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Aug 30, 2019 - 08:16 pm)
Wow--well done.

So maybe Michael K and I have been wasting our time and energy going into the depths of Algon looking for spring lakers? Sounds like all we had/have to do is paddle up Opey.

Wasting time?...definitely not. Canoe tripping/portaging into interior lakes (for me) is an unbeatable experience in my books...leaving the crowds behind and staying in relative seclusion for a few days, while having/finding/or searching for amazing brookie and laker fishing. Yeah, you can put in a lot of effort for little reward, but the rewards seem bigger when you get to a lake a day or two from any access point and are giggling like a child because you and your canoe partner have caught and released 30 lakers in the last hour and a half.

Opeongo is a different experience, with a store available at the access point if you need ice or forget something, you can bring coolers, chairs, anything you can fit in the canoe/boat because you're not portaging, there's motor boat and canoe traffic at any given time, more campers and fishermen, etc. Just feels less 'wild' if that's the right word. Chances at bigger fish (and I mean some even Simcoe-size) are definitely better than smaller interior lakes, and numbers of fish can be pretty decent too. Depends on the experience you're after.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Sep 01, 2019 - 11:18 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

a great report and just rewards...catching or not, I hear you on the solitude and scenery

I find it interesting that you are always getting lakers deeper than I do...I mark them at those depths, but seem to find the active ones quite higher

I just have to take a temp reading one time to see what exactly is going on down there

Again, great report Drew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 09:05 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Thx, Drew. I was exaggerating when I said 'waste of time'. I understand what you are saying about solitude etc and to be able to catch lots of fish in that situation is 'prime'. Mind you, our numbers didn't come close to those you quoted. What you don't know, though, and what we have to remember, is that we are a couple of old geezers with much less energy than back in the 'good ole days'. We are both in fairly good shape for our age, esp MK, but it gets exhausting spending most of a day just getting in to our destination. So we might think of Opey as an alternative now that you have posted your report. So--thx again.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace