Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> lakers help
kevin
Posted: Sep 17, 2018 - 10:48 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 14872

Hello,
I am currently trying to get set up to go after lakers next week and would like some advise on what to use and depth I should be concentrating on. I would like to troll. New to fishing the lake and any advise would be helpful.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 17, 2018 - 02:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

The best advice I can share is to go vertical... jig.

Especially this time of year when the lakers are feasting for fall.

95-105 is a great place start... find the right spot, and you can be busy fighting fish all day.

Good luck on your hunt!

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 17, 2018 - 09:30 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

Three lessons to lakers on Simcoe. Must follow lessons.

#1. Donít troll.

#2. Donít troll

#3. Donít troll

Thus ends the lesson.

PMEmail Poster
kevin
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 10:21 am

Fry

Thanks guys for the responses. I have been getting my boat ready with a kicker motor for trolling and by the feed back it doesn't look like it is required.
I still think it is a good idea for me to have this ready for at least the safety aspect.
Any thoughts on what I should be using for bait?

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 01:29 pm

Trophy Trout

I have had good success with jigging raps, meegs, swimbaits, and tubes.

Mostly lighter colours although some of my bigger catches have come on darker goby coloured baits.

Everyday is unique in its own way... and donít be discouraged if the fish are not overly active. Some days, itís a waiting game for those 10 minute windows when they light up and start feeding.

Best of luck!

PMEmail Poster
kevin
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 07:06 am

Fry

Thank you for the advise Blackcrowe13!

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 08:59 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

It's hard to argue with the success reported recently from jigging. I'll give that and agree with that obviously the technique does work. Jigging tackle and poles are in the boat for that reason. But,..... Some days, covering water rigging can be the ticket. I checked the numbers from 2017 (just targeting Simcoe in late May and early June) and we average a little over 5 lakers/pole/trip.... with one skunking! Just another option for "those" days.

PMEmail Poster
kevin
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 10:00 am

Fry

Thank you for the input Newburg007! Just a few days left then I will be trying to get ready for ice fishing.
Just got back into it last year after being away from it for 25 years. I got skunked on every trip last year! lol

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 06:08 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

I have successfully trolled Simcoe for lakers for more years than I would care to admit. Long before the advent of downriggers we ran two wire lines, one being Williams Durolous stainless and the other being copper. 500 feet of stainless and 375 feet of copper prevented tangles on turns due to the copper being heavier. The lures were large Williams whitefish spoons and some locally produced Oro spoons of similar size and profile. A poor morning was one when the catch was limited to single digits. Once downriggers gained popularity, the switch was quickly made in order to employ much lighter, more sporting rigs. Numbers of trout caught and released increased significantly. Double digit catches were commonplace. It was simply far more sporting and enjoyable to work a large trout to the boat with the lighter rods and reels. The techniques we employed still work very nicely.
There is no question that jigging is a viable means to catch lake trout. This has been done for many decades during the hardwater season. I fully enjoy the cat and mouse approach that is commonplace.
However, to suggest that trolling is NOT successful is simply ridiculous. If you are inexperienced with the many trolling tips that have been offered on this board by a number of very successful anglers, I can see how some may become frustrated with this technique. It is obvious that most, if not all, anglers will stick with what works best for them. Limiting oneself to a single method and slamming other techniques just might be evidence of personal shortcomings. Variety is the spice of life and I think it`s always a good thing to learn a variety of successful approaches. You are bound to encounter days or conditions when your personal favourite isn`t feasible or successful and it`s always reassuring to have a trick or two or three up your sleeve.
Regardless, good luck to all board members.

PMEmail Poster
kevin
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 07:04 am

Fry

Thank you Grandpa Jim for the well written post. It is always insightful to here from a variety of individuals. More over, I do like to hear about the "Old Days" as you refer to them.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 08:05 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

I have to agree with Grandpa Jim, trolling is a very effective technique for covering water and finding active fish. Also there is a wider scope of gear you need to master and constantly adjust. It's very technique oriented, challenging and rewarding.

I can jig all winter when I am stuck fishing through a little ice hole...

Softwater I want to enjoy the scenery of the lake not stare at a computer screen and play video games.. LOL ... Oooops... j/k

Good luck to all.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 09:02 am

Trophy Trout

Lol, never seen the troll vs jig war before! 😂

I agree that there is an art to learning multiple types of fishing. That being said, Iíve tried to troll for lakers... did it for a few years... I sucked at it, never hooking up once. I donít have downriggers or leadcore, and get stressed every time that Dipsy Diver stares back at me (never caught 1 fish with it) from my cockpit drawer lol.

After so much failure, sometimes you just want to win, so I decided to try vertical and had a good pattern within a few days of starting.

The reason I suggested going vertical was not a knock on trolling, and my apologies if it came across that way... more, it was an answer to ďNew to fishing the lake and any advise would be helpful.Ē

I should also mention, I troll more hours a year than most... musky, pike, walleye, boredom... I troll for them all... for days on end. Trolling catches me the majority of my larger fish in most cases, so I am a troller as well.

That being said, Simcoe and laker fishing seems to be jigging heaven. I have never caught so many big fish so quickly in my life doing anything.

To each their own, because we all enjoy doing it our own way, but if I was giving any advice to someone starting up on Simcoe looking to get out and catch some lakers, Iíd suggest jigging to start everyday.

Similar to what I mentioned earlier.... sometime you just want to catch, break the goose egg, pop the cherry, etc.

Best of luck no matter the type of fishing you do! Itís an incredible lake trout fishery!

10 DAYS TO GO PEOPLE! Time is ticking! Booooo!

[B]

PMEmail Poster
kevin
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 10:45 am

Fry

update: I went out on Sunday. What a beautiful day! I fished in so many locations jigging and then tried trolling. I had no luck at all and got skunked.
I fished in everything from 50' to 105' the fish finder was showing them but could not hook on. Question: Is this common for Simcoe or am I doing something horribly wrong. lol

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 12:56 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

Not common for Simcoe at all.

Make sure you do not let the laker get close to your bait when jigging. Jig to attract fish 20-30 feet above the fish you mark. When the fish starts to rise reel up at a quick pace. The fish will chase and will hit.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace