Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Fishing Forum
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cmon Man!
darkhorse
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 08:42 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9514

Went to fish the Grand River last night in Caledonia. Really disappointed with the state this river is being left in. People have absolutely no respect for the fantastic resources we have. I am going to start bringing a recycling bag with me and a garbage picker the next time I go...

Yes that is a dirty diaper.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse

Smolt Trout

A free lawn chair anyone?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse

Smolt Trout

Ahhh the classic worm box.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 08:43 am

Smolt Trout

Can't forget about the countless Tim Horton cups scattered around the shoreline.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 08:44 am

Smolt Trout

Folks...the trash is literally 15 meters from the river bank.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 08:48 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

People are ??????? Pigs. This dosent suprise me at all.

PMEmail Poster
riverrat
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 09:19 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 884

Some of the lowest class people fish that spot and they keep everything and dont care about rules. Multiple lines in the water too. Garbage left behind HA! thats just the tip of the ice berg with that group of scumbags

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 03:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

should be titled "coming to a lake Ontario river/creek system near you in the next month" disgusting but it happens... I do that salmon fishing sometimes, but its a losing battle

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 04:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

dont worry about it in about a week there will be no more garbage there these googins will move to rivers for the annual salmon slaughter fest.

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Aug 07, 2018 - 09:04 pm

Smolt Trout

It's so frustrating. The last 3 or 4 times that I have been there, I have seen people blatantly disregard the "no fishing" sign within a certain distance of the dam or fish stair.

A big part of fishing for me is enjoying the scenery and nature. It is very disheartening to see the blatant disregard people have. The last few times I have seen blown up latex gloves...which looks like people were trying to use them as bobbers?

I love fishing the Grand, but I feel that this resource is not being managed correctly. It would be great to see some more enforcement down there.

PMEmail Poster
spoon946
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 07:54 am

Fry

Member No.: 11391

Lived in Caledonia my entire life and have dealt with this cr@p. Frustrating to see people come in and do this. I do pick up what I can as there are ample amount of garbage cans around so there is no excuse other than laziness. I remember being probably only about 12-13 and seeing a guy along the banks with a stringer full of the smallest out of season bass you could imagine. Don't know what you would even do with them. He moved down a bit and was casting a different area, so I crept down when he wasn't looking and released all of the fish. Man was he furious when he got back. I know I shouldn't do that and could end up getting the tar beat out of me, but I just couldn't help myself. As for enforcement, in all my years I once saw a ministry truck at the dam ONCE. Agreed that a heavier presence is required at the river.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Aug 08, 2018 - 07:57 am

Fry

Member No.: 15901

People been doing this for as long as I have been fishing over 50 years. It is worse now, but it still happened a long time ago. I have never been able to figure it out, not to heavy to carry in with you, but too heavy to carry out empty. MNR is spread to thin to catch many people. What I have seen in the past to stop such things is to put a total fish ban on, makes it easier to catch people, than those that obey the rules can't fish any more.

PMEmail Poster
OutdoorDave
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 09:07 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10989

it boggles my mind that some people feel that they are so priviledged that they can just litter wherever they please, because, you know, somebody else should have to clean it up. I have wtinessed it with my own eyes last year on the ice, picked up their trash and kindly returned to them back on the shore. They had nothing to say. I'll always try to clean up a spot if its trashed when I get there. There's not excuse. If you bring it out, bring it back. Hell I used to bring a portable ashtray when I was a smoker!

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 07:54 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (spoon946 @ Aug 08, 2018 - 07:54 am)
Lived in Caledonia my entire life and have dealt with this cr@p. Frustrating to see people come in and do this. I do pick up what I can as there are ample amount of garbage cans around so there is no excuse other than laziness. I remember being probably only about 12-13 and seeing a guy along the banks with a stringer full of the smallest out of season bass you could imagine. Don't know what you would even do with them. He moved down a bit and was casting a different area, so I crept down when he wasn't looking and released all of the fish. Man was he furious when he got back. I know I shouldn't do that and could end up getting the tar beat out of me, but I just couldn't help myself. As for enforcement, in all my years I once saw a ministry truck at the dam ONCE. Agreed that a heavier presence is required at the river.

That is a really cool story! Good for you on releasing those out of season bass!

I have never seen MNR at the Caledonia dam. Not a knock on the officers, as I know they are stretched thin and there are a lot of places to cover. Given the last three times that I have fished there...they could have easily handed out infractions. Each time...someone was fishing right by the stairs.

Such a shame that people are abusing this spot. I love fishing there. It is a challenging spot (easy to get hung up) but there is a variety of fish to catch.

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Aug 09, 2018 - 07:56 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (dmorrs35 @ Aug 07, 2018 - 03:43 pm)
should be titled "coming to a lake Ontario river/creek system near you in the next month" disgusting but it happens... I do that salmon fishing sometimes, but its a losing battle

Yeah...I have heard some interesting stories about Bronte.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace