Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What do you guys tip lures with, Not live bait
tjames
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 - 07:35 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12662

What are your guys choices for soft plastic options for tipping baits when you dont have live bait. (no minnows or spikes/maggots).

Do you guys use the Gulp plastic maggots or wax worms?

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 - 07:52 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16371

For perch? Both those options work great if they aren't biting bareback. I've been using lots of little plastics with really skinny wiggly tails that work well too.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 - 10:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

QUOTE (jam1324 @ Jan 17, 2020 - 07:52 pm)
For perch? Both those options work great if they aren't biting bareback. I've been using lots of little plastics with really skinny wiggly tails that work well too.

Always trust those C'Wood guys (jam1324).....

Best eggs used to tip for perch (scent/durability/etc.) is a product from Mad River (madrivermanufacturing). Cabela's lists these on their web page but don't have stock. Ordering from their web page can get you a bonus supply (those eggs created when they switch production between of colours -- they sent these transition colour eggs FREE of charge rather than discarding into scrap! I was impressed!

Many other options for sure.....!

PMEmail Poster
Furlong
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 - 10:38 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 57

I like using the red soft plastic salmon eggs to tip slab grabbers or other jigs if the perch are there but finicky. Anise scent. CanTire, I think.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 - 12:12 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 939

Jensen eggs! I put that s*** on everything. Lol. Seriously.

PMEmail Poster
cribpro
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 - 08:39 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7538

X2 on the Jensen eggs!

PMEmail Poster
FisherGirl4Life
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 - 09:48 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5610

If you've got a perch on the ice already, just pop an eye out and use it to tip your lure. They last forever and the perch can't get enough of them. It's a little creepy having zombie fish on the ice, but it works.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 - 11:39 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 15807

Agree with FG4L...most of the time a perch eye is great. But sometimes, minnows do better. Sometimes, just a minnow head. It rally depends on the mood of the fish. Sometimes, untipped is better if they are really hitting your lure because there is no need to bait and you can get the lure back down faster to catch more. Keep trying different things if something is not working.

PMEmail Poster
papafishr
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 - 12:44 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 13142

Ive had some luck with eggs (cured single eggs;; trout & salmon) but not much,,,, only when theyre extremely on fire have I seen luck tipping a lure with the above.

Havent ever tried a fish eye,, but have thought about a little portion of fish but havent tried that either.

Would love to hear any opinions on that or even if its legal to do so. (piece of fin or tail, skin ??

Ive also used fake maggots, red/ pink worms & plastic shrimp,,, again with mixed results.

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 - 12:56 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Always a live minnow on the dead stick tied under a slip bobber. Jigging spoons get anything that resembles the color I think there feeding on that day, usually beads or minnow head.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!