Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: «« < 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 0sprey, Fishes better than I do
longfish
Posted: Apr 30, 2022 - 09:02 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10648

Pic 10 he flew right after this pic and I was hoping to catch him in flight but he came right overhead and all I got was one wing with a Hail Mary shot. He let me get to the ten foot mark.

Arnie

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Chevy
Posted: May 01, 2022 - 01:40 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

A beautiful Cooperís hawk. Nice capture Arnie. Iím jealous. Definitely a bad day to be a starling.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: May 01, 2022 - 02:01 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

beautiful pictures. let's hope he makes a living out of starlings, One of the few birds I dislike.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: May 01, 2022 - 09:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15807

Isn't it often the case that you see something so photographable but do not have your equipment with you? I shoot with a Nikon D500 with a 80-200mm N, ED G II (f2.8) and often with a 1.4 teleconverter so it's essentially a 112-280 (f4). I preferred having a faster lens (and compromising the magnification - i.e., I wasn't able to justify buying a 300mm f2.8, which would be even less appealing to carry around). The problem with any of these kinds of cameras is that you really don't want to carry them around with you if you are going fishing (just too much weight and stuff to carry around so I actually either go fishing or photographing stuff and as it turns out, you often see interesting stuff when you are not carrying the large equipment; and I prefer to go fishing than doing more photography on my recreation time although getting some nice wildlife photos are quite satisfying as well). Like CM, I usually carry a "point-and-shoot" Canon SD500 (a great camera and made in Japan too! (not sure you can get any similar "cheap" camera that is made in Japan anymore...at least not in Canada). It's at least 15 years old now and still going great but need to find a replacement battery for it - I'm always surprised by how good the photos are from this little camera and use it often for initial shots for me to work with before I bring out the big camera to get various shots).
Agree with the other post....hope all raptors develop a strong preference for invasive species like starlings, etc.
On the ID part. I would have guessed it to be a sharp-shinned (rather than Cooper's) hawk given how big I am guessing it to be (based on the other things in the photo but of course size is always very difficult to gauge in a photo) and also with the three dark wide bands across the tail but I am no expert in raptors.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: May 01, 2022 - 10:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (Flukes @ May 01, 2022 - 09:54 pm)
Isn't it often the case that you see something so photographable but do not have your equipment with you?  I shoot with a Nikon D500 with a 80-200mm N, ED G II (f2.8) and often with a 1.4 teleconverter so it's essentially a 112-280 (f4).  I preferred having a faster lens (and compromising the magnification - i.e., I wasn't able to justify buying a 300mm f2.8, which would be even less appealing to carry around).  The problem with any of these kinds of cameras is that you really don't want to carry them around with you if you are going fishing (just too much weight and stuff to carry around so I actually either go fishing or photographing stuff and as it turns out, you often see interesting stuff when you are not carrying the large equipment; and I prefer to go fishing than doing more photography on my recreation time although getting some nice wildlife photos are quite satisfying as well).  Like CM, I usually carry a "point-and-shoot" Canon SD500 (a great camera and made in Japan too! (not sure you can get any similar "cheap" camera that is made in Japan anymore...at least not in Canada).  It's at least 15 years old now and still going great but need to find a replacement battery for it - I'm always surprised by how good the photos are from this little camera and use it often for initial shots for me to work with before I bring out the big camera to get various shots).
Agree with the other post....hope all raptors develop a strong preference for invasive species like starlings, etc.
On the ID part.  I would have guessed it to be a sharp-shinned (rather than Cooper's) hawk given how big I am guessing it to be (based on the other things in the photo but of course size is always very difficult to gauge in a photo) and also with the three dark wide bands across the tail but I am no expert in raptors.

Nope absolutely not a Coopers...Coopers are bigger... It is definitely a Sparrow Hawk and I will say he was a big sparrow Hawk. When I go fishing I only carry my iPhone 12 which takes awesome shots especially close shots......if I go in the boat to do a specific photo shoot like an Osprey family or Eagles I take my big bulky stuff in a well protected case.

A sharp shinned Hawk has no feathered leggings.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Flukes
Posted: May 02, 2022 - 10:29 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15807

QUOTE (longfish @ May 01, 2022 - 10:58 pm)
Isn't it often the case that you see something so photographable but do not have your equipment with you?† I shoot with a Nikon D500 with a 80-200mm N, ED G II (f2.8) and often with a 1.4 teleconverter so it's essentially a 112-280 (f4).† I preferred having a faster lens (and compromising the magnification - i.e., I wasn't able to justify buying a 300mm f2.8, which would be even less appealing to carry around).† The problem with any of these kinds of cameras is that you really don't want to carry them around with you if you are going fishing (just too much weight and stuff to carry around so I actually either go fishing or photographing stuff and as it turns out, you often see interesting stuff when you are not carrying the large equipment; and I prefer to go fishing than doing more photography on my recreation time although getting some nice wildlife photos are quite satisfying as well).† Like CM, I usually carry a "point-and-shoot" Canon SD500 (a great camera and made in Japan too! (not sure you can get any similar "cheap" camera that is made in Japan anymore...at least not in Canada).† It's at least 15 years old now and still going great but need to find a replacement battery for it - I'm always surprised by how good the photos are from this little camera and use it often for initial shots for me to work with before I bring out the big camera to get various shots).
On the ID part.† I would have guessed it to be a sharp-shinned (rather than Cooper's) hawk given how big I am guessing it to be (based on the other things in the photo but of course size is always very difficult to gauge in a photo) and also with the three dark wide bands across the tail but I am no expert in raptors.

Nope absolutely not a Coopers...Coopers are bigger... It is definitely a Sparrow Hawk and I will say he was a big sparrow Hawk. When I go fishing I only carry my iPhone 12 which takes awesome shots especially close shots......if I go in the boat to do a specific photo shoot like an Osprey family or Eagles I take my big bulky stuff in a well protected case.

Arnie

Hey Longfish. Again, I'm no raptors experts and am learning (and searching as well on the internet for more info) so I am just asking questions to improve my knowledge. When you say "Sparrow hawk" do you mean American kestrel (Falco sparverius), which was formerly called "sparrow hawk"? Or do you mean the Eurasian Sparrow Hawk (the scientific name being Accipiter nisus), which doesn't seem to occur "normally" here in N. America. I can't find any other "sparrow hawk" in my NGS Birds of North America guide or my Peterson's Field Guide on Hawks and online, some sites that talk about the hawks of Ontario also do not show "sparrow hawk" except to say that it was a former common name for the American kestrel. I'm still asking around some folks, who should know much better than I at least, for some clarification as well. I'd like to know either way as it will hopefully better help me ID some of these raptors which can be very difficult (I saw something IDying Cooper's vs. sharp-shinned hawks and it seems not easy at all for most). Either way, great experience and nice shots for a phone.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: May 02, 2022 - 05:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (longfish @ May 01, 2022 - 10:58 pm)
Isn't it often the case that you see something so photographable but do not have your equipment with you?† I shoot with a Nikon D500 with a 80-200mm N, ED G II (f2.8) and often with a 1.4 teleconverter so it's essentially a 112-280 (f4).† I preferred having a faster lens (and compromising the magnification - i.e., I wasn't able to justify buying a 300mm f2.8, which would be even less appealing to carry around).† The problem with any of these kinds of cameras is that you really don't want to carry them around with you if you are going fishing (just too much weight and stuff to carry around so I actually either go fishing or photographing stuff and as it turns out, you often see interesting stuff when you are not carrying the large equipment; and I prefer to go fishing than doing more photography on my recreation time although getting some nice wildlife photos are quite satisfying as well).† Like CM, I usually carry a "point-and-shoot" Canon SD500 (a great camera and made in Japan too! (not sure you can get any similar "cheap" camera that is made in Japan anymore...at least not in Canada).† It's at least 15 years old now and still going great but need to find a replacement battery for it - I'm always surprised by how good the photos are from this little camera and use it often for initial shots for me to work with before I bring out the big camera to get various shots).
On the ID part.† I would have guessed it to be a sharp-shinned (rather than Cooper's) hawk given how big I am guessing it to be (based on the other things in the photo but of course size is always very difficult to gauge in a photo) and also with the three dark wide bands across the tail but I am no expert in raptors.

Arnie

Iíve never seen one before. Iíll have to look them up. Sure looks like a Coopers though.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: «« < 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!