Posted: Jun 14, 2019 - 10:36 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 766

Ontario Proposing Multi-Line Carp Fishing
Province to Increase Opportunities for Resident and International Anglers
June 13, 2019 11:30 A.M.

Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

TORONTO ó The Ontario Government is working for the people by taking steps to expand recreational fishing opportunities in the province.

The government is proposing to allow resident recreational anglers and those visiting the province to use multiple lines when fishing carp from shore.

"This initiative is just one more way we want to make life easier for anglers," said John Yakabuski, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry. "Ontario has excellent carp fishing opportunities and we want to offer people the chance to experience sustainable multi-line carp fishing."

https://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2019/6/ontar...rp-fishing.html

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 - 12:01 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12632

I have a feeling there will be some who take advantage of this and use it as an excuse. They'll be multi lining for whatever they can catch and should they be questioned; "Oh I'm just fishing for carp"

Say you catch a nice walleye while carp fishing. You think people will throw it back because you were using multiple lines? Unlikely..

Just my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
Paddy
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 - 12:10 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

yeah this will open up a can of worms for sure. maybe they will specify certain baits allowed (not worms or minnows).

maybe limited to boilies, dough balls, and corn?

i don't know, not sure what they're thinking. there is enough grey area in the regs already.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 - 03:21 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

In my area, most people I run into are already using 2-5 rods each while fishing for Carp...

personally I have never caught a carp on a crankbait, topwater bait or dropshot rig

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
oogie8
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 - 02:30 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8485

I agree Longshank, itís quite common to see anglers using two rods in the areas i fish for carp,I personally think it should be multi lines for all course fish in general, Suckers carp catfish

PMEmail Poster
outdoors4life
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 - 02:39 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16994

QUOTE (oogie8 @ Jun 15, 2019 - 02:30 pm)
I agree Longshank, itís quite common to see anglers using two rods in the areas i fish for carp,I personally think it should be multi lines for all course fish in general, Suckers carp catfish

x2, I see two rod use all the time and I believe there should be multi line use allowed for all coarse fish, however there is two much grey area for this and it could be abused.

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 - 03:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8485

Unfortunately, youíre absolutely right outdoors4life, their will always be those who abuse the system, not real sportsmen imo

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 - 06:57 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (outdoors4life @ Jun 15, 2019 - 02:39 pm)
QUOTE (oogie8 @ Jun 15, 2019 - 02:30 pm)

x2, I see two rod use all the time and I believe there should be multi line use allowed for all coarse fish, however there is two much grey area for this and it could be abused.

that was my point Ö.maybe more promotion for less desirable species rather than more rods..

if already abused this would only make it worse for other gamefish

I am not sure about that, but there is already far too much illegal stuff happening and mnrf is hardly in a position to check anglers on a regular basis

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
fishmagnet
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 - 07:10 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

What would be so wrong with multiple lines if you stayed in your limits put fourth in the regs..
Just wondering..

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jun 16, 2019 - 06:17 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15901

if people obeyed the rules there would be nothing wrong. problem is, which was stated earlier that some people will say they are carp fishing but have a line out rigged for game fish. it really doesn't matter anyway as these people will be fishing with multiple lines and catching over their limits anyway, they are just poachers. there not enough CO's around to catch all the poachers. The CO's have a lot of ground to cover, there are not enough to do the job proper.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 16, 2019 - 08:45 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10908

So those of you who are worried that Multiple lines for carp would allow abuse of the system I put forth this simple fact. If a person will bend rules and cheat the system then these people are already doing it now. You donít make more duche bags by changing regs the duche bags are already out there abusing our natural resources. The only thing changing the regs will do is allow law abiding anglers more opportunity while fishing.

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Jun 17, 2019 - 04:56 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13060

I am not a carp fisherman but I see nothing wrong with it. Don't they use a totally different set up and baits like dough balls, corn, floats etc.

Hey if the laws are in place and they get abused that is where the CO's will deal with them. We need to start to catch up with the times and other jurisdictions. Ontario needs to treat people like adults.

We already fish certain species when other seasons are closed or we have slot seasons and we trust people to follow them. Abuse is abuse and if it is an of fence then let the MNRF deal with those people.

Just my thoughts anyway.

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Jun 17, 2019 - 08:41 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12632

QUOTE (Longshank @ Jun 14, 2019 - 04:21 pm)
In my area, most people I run into are already using 2-5 rods each while fishing for Carp...

personally I have never caught a carp on a crankbait, topwater bait or dropshot rig

I use multiple rods but not at the same time. Sometimes I'll tie up a Texas rig on one rod and a top water on another for bass fishing. I switch back and forth but never have both lines in at the same time. And, I've also never heard of anyone using a crank/jerk bait for carp but I have seen some funny things;

Last year before my brother passed, he caught a 10 lb carp in a Texas rigged plastic cray fish.
And a few years before that my buddy caught a 7 lb carp on a jerk bait. (We're bass fishermen) so it was quite the surprise to pull a carp out on those baits. LOL.

I agree with other statements that if a poacher is going to poach, it doesn't matter the regulations but I can see these proposed carp regulations possibly being an excuse. A CO can tell by your fishing gear, bait etc. What species you are targeting but in an extreme case where it were to go to court, I can see things getting iffy.

I'm not against the proposed regulations, but the MNR reasoning for it is funny. I don't think it will encourage people to fish Ontario, in terms of tourism and I don't know very many anglers who specifically target carp.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Jun 17, 2019 - 04:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 939

I'm all for the idea of 2 rods for carp. Of course there will be abuse. Maybe if the 2 rods had to be setup with still fishing techniques. With bait that is geared towards carp. Of course thats a whole new can of worms. 2 rods no lures of any kind sounds about right. to me. I've caught a carp on a jig b4 and my buddy got one on a hair jig but that is far from a reliable technique for carp. If somebody is using a lure and says they're fishn for carp.its bs!

PMEmail Poster
centerspin
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 - 12:49 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 347

QUOTE (Disco @ Jun 16, 2019 - 08:45 pm)
So those of you who are worried that Multiple lines for carp would allow abuse of the system I put forth this simple fact. If a person will bend rules and cheat the system then these people are already doing it now. You donít make more duche bags by changing regs the duche bags are already out there abusing our natural resources. The only thing changing the regs will do is allow law abiding anglers more opportunity while fishing.

There are places where both carp and rainbows are present. They both take worm and corn too in a matter off fact. They should either keep it as is, allow 2 lines for everything ( Michigan is allowing 3 lines for example) or choose designated areas where 2 lines from shore are allowed. (personally I would designate carping areas).

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace