Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Clipped lake trout
MarkDv
Posted: Aug 17, 2019 - 11:21 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16889

I finally got my first lake trout form G bay. Not a big one but long wished for...
I was surprised to see that the fish did't have two fins. Not sure if they were clipped or the fish might lost them another way.
That was the only fish we got for 5 hours morning trolling and 4 hours evening. I also hooked a small salmon at about 8:30 pm, but messed up with the net and lost it near the boat...

I did get many popups but no fish was hooked. Does anyone knows if there any particular reason for that? When I fished on lake Ontario (with identical setup) I almost did not have any 'dry fire' popups, but on G bay I'm getting a lot of popups without any sense of fish.
We headed home at 9 pm, in complete darkness but there still were some boat lights far away from us. Is there still salmon fishing in complete darkness? Never heard about it.
Thank for replies and suggestions!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Aug 17, 2019 - 11:34 pm

Parr Trout

Also: just as I got the fish I noticed it has a big inflated belly. You can see it on the picture too. I've seen it many times on Lake Joseph trouts. I thought the reason for that is that the fish is pulled up from significant depth and it just doesn't have enough time to release excessive air.
This time the fish was hooked at 100'. But I never saw it on salmon/rainbows from the same depth...
Is this phenomenon specific to lake trout only?

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 - 09:54 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

Yes to fin clip -- the ministry varies which fin is clipped in order to ID the year class of a fish.
And probably yes to bloating -- you'll know when you clean it, ..."pop"!

The number of releases is hard to diagnose from an "armchair" position. First, if you're getting a good number of these and no fish attached, it does sound like false ("stress") releases. If you're using pinch-style release clips (Offshore, Scotty...) you can try to bury the line deeper in the these clips to make it hard to pull loose. There is a tradeoff here; too deep and you may not get releases for smaller fish and some Lakers. Why this is not happening on Lake Ontario outing is a bit of a mystery (assuming the equipment is the same -- including lures and lines used, and the trolling speed is the same). Are your trolling depths the same (deeper creates greater pressure on the line, obviously)? Increased wave height may also cause surges in boat speed....? If there's not an answer from any of the factor suggested here, keep a closer eye on the rod at the time of the release; false release will simply cause the rod to "relax" (gently straighten up). With a fish strike, you'd expect something different for rod tip movement (pole tip first going downward, the pole shaking, up-down motions at the tip,....). You can also extend the leads on these clips (18 - 24 inches) to help transfer motion to your rod tip (creates a larger swing between the clip and the cannonball).

Lastly, and a cost you may not need, you can change your style of release clip. Go away from a pinch style to a "twist" release (I don't have a better description here!). Some examples would be Chamberlain, Black, etc. These will run $20 - $40 (Chamberlain $~$25US + shipping - Ouch!!). I run different clips for different target fish/lakes; I didn't have to foot the cost all at once, rather picked up a different clip as we learned -- "please, no cheap comment here on being a slow learner and have many years to save up!"

Keep at it and you'll figure it out and match your setup to your trolling technique. TIME!

Good luck on the water.

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 - 11:31 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16371

From my experience lakers usually, burp out the air from the bladder when you get them out of the water. I am not 100% sure but I would say that is a clipped fin from a stocking program. How close are you running your rigger to the bottom? Sometimes if you are very very close you can have you lure drag into the ground and pop off the clip, Newburg gave you some really good pointers also about clip styles etc.

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 - 04:14 pm

Parr Trout

As for clipped fins - is there any info available from MNR, to determine when and where clipped fish was stocked? I'm surprised that MNR never ask anglers for this info. It seems like it should be valuable info to determine if and how the stoking program works.
Thanks for giving me detailed overview of false release problem. Some of these things I had been considered but some were insightful.
I still believe that most of these false releases were actually fish' prompted because most of them happened in a pattern. I might troll for an hour or so without anything and then the rod popups. I reset it and then in few minutes again. And then again. And then an hour or more without anything...
I tend to think it was smaller fish, may be even whitefish or cisco. I remember that when we hooked last small salmon I first also thought it is false, as I didn't sense any fish and only after pulling some line I realized that there is a fish.
And this actually bring another reason and the problem I have. As I was worried too much about stress false releases and set up the line to loose and then when fish hit the lure the hook is not set.
So here is the question: is there any approximate line length between the clip and the rod for specific depth? For example, if I run a cannon on 100' I usually see about 180-200 ft on my reel counter, meaning that I have about 50' from the lure to the cannon and then 130-150' from the cannon to the rod. From those, there is 100' for the depth and 30-50' for the line bow. Is it too much or too little?
Also what is your preferred length of the line from the cannon to the lure?
Go away from a pinch style to a "twist" release (I don't have a better description here!).

Do you mean what the guy showing here at 6:36 and 11:19?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEDtkYhveE&t=673s

Thanks a lot for replying and suggestion!

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 - 04:31 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16371

I've just started this year. I'm using Scotty clips and it took a few times at least to dail it in. I've got the hang of it now, with lots of practice I feel confident how my lines are set in the clips. I've watched alot of videos on the topic and some people do all kinds of fancy stuff, double loops with twists into the clip etc, but I just open the clip and slide the line in plain and simple. We burry it deep, most fish will take it out of the clip no problem and those that do not are noticed by paying careful attention to your rods as you go.

Jamie

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace