Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Little fun on a sunday afternoon
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 08, 2020 - 10:54 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 877

QUOTE (sparky302 @ Sep 08, 2020 - 10:07 am)
QUOTE (deepjigger @ Sep 08, 2020 - 07:16 am)
Nice video Sparky. Good on you to practice some C&R. Not easy passing up on a tasty fish or two.

I have 2 in the freezer still so i let these guys go this was more a scouting trip finding the lakes i will fish next season as i really don't fish the same lakes every year i like to alternate and let the fish grow.

I would do the same. To digress a bit---I find that fatty fish such as trout and salmon don't keep well for very long in the freezer---maybe 2-3 weeks.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 08, 2020 - 06:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Sep 08, 2020 - 07:56 am)
Thx----I am surprised they were that shallow. I knew they come quite shallow around dusk but thought they would be well down below the thermocline around midday

In Algonquin I get them 6-10 feet down through July and August. High elevation, spring fed lakes.
Regular 6lb mono, and a spoon.
Sometimes a bit heavier or bigger spoon to get down a few extra (10-15) feet if they're not really aggressive.
Thermoclines I've marked this year were only ever starting at 22 feet deep (and going deeper). Lots of brookies I've marked at 20-21feet. This is with surface temps 69-76 range.

A feisty fish easily travels up from 20 feet to smash a bait. Maybe I'd catch more with a little weight, to keep my presentation closer to where they are, but I've never experienced a difference using in-line keel weights, so I rarely do. Just my $.02

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Sep 09, 2020 - 06:55 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

QUOTE (Drew @ Sep 08, 2020 - 06:56 pm)
QUOTE (Knuguy @ Sep 08, 2020 - 07:56 am)
Thx----I am surprised they were that shallow. I knew they come quite shallow around dusk but thought they would be well down below the thermocline around midday

In Algonquin I get them 6-10 feet down through July and August. High elevation, spring fed lakes.
Regular 6lb mono, and a spoon.
Sometimes a bit heavier or bigger spoon to get down a few extra (10-15) feet if they're not really aggressive.
Thermoclines I've marked this year were only ever starting at 22 feet deep (and going deeper). Lots of brookies I've marked at 20-21feet. This is with surface temps 69-76 range.

A feisty fish easily travels up from 20 feet to smash a bait. Maybe I'd catch more with a little weight, to keep my presentation closer to where they are, but I've never experienced a difference using in-line keel weights, so I rarely do. Just my $.02

The keel weight at the front is more like a rudder keeps your line from twisting from the spinners.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Drew
Posted: Sep 09, 2020 - 08:58 am

World Record Trout

Yeah, I understand that for the gang trolls.

I'm just saying in general, I haven't needed weights to get down deeper as many believe are necessary in summer.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 09, 2020 - 10:35 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Interesting topic----how do you know if a lake is spring fed. They all seem to have some stream flowing in.

Also, if they are not spring fed, would you tend to go deeper than what you are saying here?

thx

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 09, 2020 - 11:23 am

World Record Trout

as far as I understand it, brookies cannot reproduce effectively without cold ground-water upwellings(springs) in the lake bottom, in specific depths, with specific bottom composition(gravel).

Therefore I'd suggest, if a lake has brookies, and they're not stocked, then you can bank on it being spring fed.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Sep 09, 2020 - 12:20 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

I agree with what the observations are

This applies to lakers as well....been saying for years I get most quite shallow, even though I mark many quite deeper....those are not actively feeding though I have found

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nuclear
Posted: Sep 12, 2020 - 04:26 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3419

Always pleasure to read your posts Kurt thanks Frank

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!