Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Back lake trip, Musky fishing by canoe
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 06:31 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15869

In late August I took my kids into a backlake for our annual musky fishing trip. Weve been going for nine years now but its getting more difficult to schedule because both kids have jobs now.
This is a small lake with only a hunt camp on it and we access it by 4 wheeler and portaging. The lake is only about 60 acres but has musky and smallmouth.
We arrived on a misty morning and dropped our camping gear at our campsite and started fishing . The bass were not on the bite but after a couple hours my daughter got a nice bass on the only lure she uses in this lake, a hula popper. Most years she catches the biggest bass and this year was no exception.... almost 22 inches and well over 4 pounds.
My son was the musky master as he boated one musky around 40 inches and another near 39 inches. We only measure them by laying them on the paddle so it can be exciting to get an accurate measurement.He caught his on an old greenish husky jerk with half the finish coming off the nose of the bait.

We were reminiscing about a lure I had lost years ago when I got hung up and had to paddle back to try to free it. As I was working on my side of the canoe my daughter said my lure was stuck on a branch on the opposite side as she could see it there. I told her I had my lure back and when we checked out the lure she saw it was the one I had lost 5 years ago. The hooks were rusted off and the finish was bubbled from being underwater but it was mine as it had a section of leader material attached that I had hand tied myself.

We also caught some smaller musky and a few more bass but the bass fishing was tough . We only stayed one night but fished all the next day and pulled camp late in the afternoon.

How the time flies when you have kids! It seems like yesterday that I was untangling lines, ducking lures and unsnarling brush and trees. Now they are carrying the canoe,driving the vehicle and organizing trips with their own friends Its been a great journey.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 06:32 am

Trophy Trout

Hero shot

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 06:34 am

Trophy Trout

Musky

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 06:40 am

Trophy Trout

Misty morning

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 06:42 am

Trophy Trout

One more

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 06:44 am

Trophy Trout

Last one

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
deepjigger
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 10:37 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2904

Great report and looks like a great trip with the kids. Some nice fish being caught. Enjoy it will you can. As you mentioned, it will get harder to schedule as the kids get older and work/school gets in the way. Glad you got your lucky lure back.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 08:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

Very cool to have the kids still going with you and enjoying it. Can't wait till my daughter can carry the canoe and trip with me as an adult...but really not trying to rush it either.

Looks like you had a great trip...nice fish too!
Thanks for the pics and report....I enjoyed it.

PMEmail Poster
mamona
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 09:43 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14206

Lovely Kids managed to take some time off.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!