» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: «« < 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New regulations 2019?
glfpro
Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 10:38 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3723

QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 07, 2018 - 06:58 pm)
QUOTE (glfpro @ Dec 07, 2018 - 01:48 pm)
QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 07, 2018 - 12:55 pm)
QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Dec 07, 2018 - 04:26 am)
Something seems a little fishy to me.  5 years ago we were catching tons of 16- 17 inchers.  If these fish didn't end up in a net then that year class should have surely been above the slot by now.   It seems we get a bunch of fish just under the slot every year and by the next year those fish are gone?

My thoughts exactly....

I realize that if you are mobile you can find some bigger eyes, but I am not and hang out in my ice bungalow. am happy to catch lots of toss backs, but by now there should be many more in that 19 inch range

You have to be willing to make the decision. Do you want your hut in an area that is going to produce a high number of fish knowing that the size will be smaller and you will have to fight through the smaller fish to get the odd bigger walleye. Or do you put it on water that will be less productive in terms of numbers but higher potential for size.

Unfortunately you can't have both most of the time. After all, this is fishing not catching. The guys that catch the big fish time and time again, are the guys that put in the time and effort to make it happen.

Instead of putting your hut in the same spot every year, change it up.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

not my hut......guess you missed that.....bungalow with ssic as always for 4 days a year.

go to have fun and catch what I catch...…...all good

I know Garnet puts his huts in some great spots and does a great job moving his huts around to give his clients the best chance possible to stay on fish.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Dec 08, 2018 - 12:05 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (glfpro @ Dec 07, 2018 - 01:48 pm)

You have to be willing to make the decision. Do you want your hut  in an area that is going to produce a high number of fish knowing  that the size will be smaller and you will have to fight through the smaller fish to get the odd bigger walleye. Or do you put it on water that will be less productive in terms of numbers but higher potential for size.

Unfortunately you can't have both most of the time. After all, this is fishing not catching. The guys that catch the big fish time and time again, are the guys that put in the time and effort to make it happen.

Instead of putting your hut in the same spot every year, change it up.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

It's no different summer or winter...or species to species for that matter.
We bring dozens of people through our place on South Bay each open water season. Some want to catch numbers (especially families with kids) and some want trophies.
We take them to different locations on the lake and fish different habitat...depending on what they want or their preferences.
When my experienced musky buddy's come north they're looking and hoping for bigger gators and lunge....those types of fish 'generally' have different feeding and locational preferences. For the most part, it's the same for pickerel, bass and jumbo perch.
Our families observations this past summer...and we fish the lake a lot, all summer long...is that the population of 18" plus pickerel have definitely increased the past two years. We were foruntate to catch one potential keeper for every 17-18 pickerel caught this past summer. We didn't see those results 4 or 5 years ago....not even close. And the charters out of the south shore are seeing even better results then that.
If we fished 'big' fish locations (as correctly suggested by glfpro) it was generally off structure out in the deeper, main lake basin (for the most part)...over slot fish were more plentiful but shear numbers of pickerel were less. Big fish eat little fish....and there's fewer big fish in the food chain or population pyramid...it's really that simple.
As suggested, it's your preference...and if you're not getting the results you want in either numbers or size...you have to move and pick different locations.

PM
ldub
Posted: Dec 08, 2018 - 02:17 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

I understand what you guys a saying to a certain extent. But when it comes to walleye, which can grow to a large size, I wouldn't really consider an 18 incher large more an average size. When you start hitting 20inches that's what I would consider a big eye. I just find it interesting that there seem to be 16 inchers in abundance and the 18+ inchers are very scarce.

PMEmail Poster
PilgoreRay44
Posted: Dec 08, 2018 - 02:47 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16394

I've seen on several lakes as well the 16-17" walleye you think are going to be all the big, nice 19" walleyes the next season seem to just never grow . If you look at growth charts for walleye, a 17" fish within a year both M/F grow to be 19". I find these bigger fish go into different parts of the lake where they wouldn't venture when they were younger. Smaller fish tend to stick with each other in larger crowds and bigger, more mature walleye tend to be in smaller groups or solo. I've also found that you tend to catch larger walleye late witching hour and into the dark.
That being said the MNR has said the regulations put onto Nipissing are part of a 5 year plan, so I don't think regs will change at all.
However, it is the MNR so anything is possible.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: «« < 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace