Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Farm rainbow near Collingwood?
MarkDv
Posted: Jan 08, 2020 - 09:49 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16889

With regard to the "ponds" you have shown in your link.... Ummmm, you may have luck fishing there for 'brown trout ' or perhaps 'crappie ' biggrin.gif innocent.gif Sorry, Couldn't resist

I know it's funny, but how I would know? Was just asking. I'm glad that you had fun, anyways...
Come back to original question, I know only fish farm on GB near Parry Sound. Some people are saying like you "various farms in various locations" but so far no one could point out any which is on GB except the one in Parry...

PMEmail Poster
12footspringbok
Posted: Jan 09, 2020 - 12:26 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 245

I really don't get the great mystery here . The fish you caught swam across the bay from Parry Sound within a day of 2 of eating some pellets over there, end of story. Migratory fish can travel long distances in very short periods of time. There were lots of Parry Sound escapees caught around the bay this year and close to a dozen made it into my boat!

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jan 09, 2020 - 08:18 pm

Smolt Trout

I really don't get the great mystery here

May be you are right and there is no mystery at all...
I would never believe before that fish could swim over 90K in a day or two without specific purpose (like going upstream for spawning). But yes, if there is no fish farms around Collingwood and things like chumming are unlikely, then I have to believe in that.
I did a quick search (no time for more, unfortunately) about how fast fish could swim on long distances but didn't get trustful and/or corresponding results.
Se example https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/362248.pdf
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.338...2019.00286/full
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080...288330709509907
Yes, fish can swim very fast. But for how long and what for? Whenever I see video from underwater camera, the fish is moving very slow, unless it's attacking or escaping something. But this is not the case for over 90K. I also know that no one animal would move quickly without specific purpose, whether it be a deer, fish, cockroach or whatever (birds and other flying animals are exception for obvious reason).
But if there is a purpose for fish to move quickly from Parry to South shore of GB then this is another intriguing thing for me.

PMEmail Poster
Glen Margaret
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 - 04:26 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9879

We caught one rainbow while trolling for pike at the mouth of Penetanguishene in July. Four 1/2 lb and the tail was cropped by about half. We usually catch 1 or 2 in the fall, but that was the only one last year, and the only one we've caught with a trimmed tail fin.
I was guessing it was an escapee from Parry Sound.

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 - 05:46 pm

Smolt Trout

There is no question that rainbow from Parry's fish farm might be anywhere throughout GB. The only strange thing for me is that the fish I caught had almost intact pellets in it's intestines.

Also, I'm not sure that the fish from Parry Sound farm should have clipped adipose fin or any other fins. My understanding is that clipping fins is done on hatcheries only, when the fish is released then into the wild. It is done for identification, monitoring etc.
I don't think fish farm management would be bothered to clip fins as the fish is sitting in the cages anyway before it's sold for consumption.
I might be wrong. Does anyone have info about it?

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Jan 14, 2020 - 10:42 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Any chance that maybe there are some private ponds in the area that we don't know about that these fish could have found there way out of ? For example,an old family friend had two large ponds on his property covering approx 10 acres full of stocked rainbows very close to GB. Over the years there have been accidents where fish have found there way out via small tribs and flooding. There must be tons of these types of hobby farms and private ponds in the Collingwood area. Good chance these fish could have found there way out of someones private pond closer than we think.

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jan 14, 2020 - 11:23 pm

Smolt Trout

Yes, this is what I was also thinking about... And I expected that someone who knows about such places would point it out (not the place itself, but the possibility of that), like you did.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 - 08:25 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

I have pointed out 1 already but you don't seem to think that they can get to GB from there. I am pretty sure they can

PMEmail Poster
awbringl
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 - 10:57 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7052

QUOTE (MarkDv @ Jan 08, 2020 - 09:49 pm)
With regard to the "ponds" you have shown in your link.... Ummmm, you may have luck fishing there for 'brown trout ' or perhaps 'crappie ' biggrin.gif innocent.gif Sorry, Couldn't resist

I know it's funny, but how I would know? Was just asking. I'm glad that you had fun, anyways...
Come back to original question, I know only fish farm on GB near Parry Sound. Some people are saying like you "various farms in various locations" but so far no one could point out any which is on GB except the one in Parry...

Who doesn't laugh at a good brown trout and crappie joke?? I did have fun... I hoped by making a light joke with you that you would have some fun also! Ya know, read my incredibly witty joke and have a little laugh

You asked those on the forum what the ponds shown in the link that you provided to the forum were. I provided you with an answer and a little humour. Simple as that. Sorry if you didn't get the answer you were looking for.

My life is way too busy. So much water - so little time. Life is short - have fun with it! Sorry if my joking around a little to try and have some fun (with you, not at your expense) was offensive in some way....

As I said in my last post, good luck on the water. Hope you have fun out there!

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 - 02:23 pm

Smolt Trout

awbringl
I asked for that ponds because I don't know the area. You answered with the joke, nothing could be more perfect than that. I laughed at it too.

Knuguy
I have pointed out 1 already but you don't seem to think that they can get to GB from there. I am pretty sure they can

I'm not arguing that the fish could get from Kalapore Springs to GB. Sure it can. But I doubt it would pass this distance still holding the pellets from the farm in its intestines. I estimated it at about 30-40K from Kalapore to GB by creek (also I don't know if there is any dams or other obstacles) and then 10-15K in GB to the are where I got it.
But if compared, I would say it is more likely from Kalapore than from Parry...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!