Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Balsam Lake Report, First musky
JordanR
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 10:44 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 14322

After 2 years of on and off fishing for musky. I finally land my first musky. Iíve netted multiple muskys with my boat partner, Iíve battled them to boat side, Iíve had bad hook sets on small baits. But finally got my first musky in the net on my rod. On Monday, a storm was coming, we had 2 hours before last light to head out, we get out there and start a troll. Catch a pike, instead of sticking to the same bait I decide to change it up, to a bigger musky size bait. Soon as the suns setting boom get a hit, fight him to the boat and next thing I know itís pitch black out and most of our lights and cell phones dead. Barely got a picture but dam it was fun. Balsam lake is definitely challenging thru all seasons for all species. Anyone else feel this way about balsam lake? Iím usually always fishing the north west side of the lake as thatís where Iím located.

On a side note, I thought I was a good fisherman until I started only fishing balsam lake and since then Iíve struggled a lot. Another funny side note, this weekend was decent fishing and this the first weekend I got my boat in the water, itís been in the garage all year and Iíve been using my moms boat. Coincidence, not sure. Lol

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
JordanR
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 10:47 am

Parr Trout

Bass

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
JordanR
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 10:48 am

Parr Trout

Pike

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 03:05 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

Good job way to stick with it . The next one will be easier and bigger . Thanks for the report and pictures.

PMEmail Poster
MikeyLovesMuskies
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 07:32 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 14137

Woop Woop!! Way to go Jordan. It's a tough grind but you battled through and landed your first

Balsam , from what I've heard and seen myself, has been tough this year . I only hooked into one Musky in 3 trips to Balsam this season.

Keep grindin' bro. Nothing beats the feeling of hooking into a Musky .

On a side note, that's a nice looking stud of a Smallie you got there

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 07:40 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14818

Nice catches Jordan! I pretty much only fish Balsam now, and it is a challenging lake. Perseverance is the key I think. I lost a good muskie in the north end this year, but I don't target them (bass and walleye are my preferred). Its good to know that someone other than Paul J is landing decent fish there LOL. I'm done for the season, but I plan on hitting it hard next year to improve my technique to land some more fun fish!

PMEmail Poster
JordanR
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 07:46 pm

Parr Trout

Thanks guys. Balsam is tricky. Every time I catch fish in a spot for a day or two. I wonít catch fish at that way point or even the same weedline/shoal/ etc again. Lol very weird. Big lake too, difficult to travel to lots of spots.

Iím not used to that. My other lakes Iíve fished I can do the same thing over and over again with some results. Oh well.

Iíve caught one walleye on the lake. It was a beautiful size. I fish the same area for the rest of the year with no luck on walleye again. It honestly frustrating lol. Oh well, side note the leaves were beautiful this long weekend.

PMEmail Poster
Rook
Posted: Oct 11, 2018 - 07:48 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 13976

Northwest ??/ hey that's where i fish since i am south of the park...spent all day Tuesday fishing in my shorts and Tshirt...awesome weather.
had about 5 pike follow my lures to the boat, only raised one big musky in the evening but it didn't want to commit, and wasn't interested in a figure 8 as well !!!
Can't bring myself to troll so it is just cast cast cast, change spots and repeat.
Hey, it was way better than working considering the beauty weather.
Balsam is a challenge all the time.
Rook

PMEmail Poster
JordanR
Posted: Oct 11, 2018 - 08:23 am

Parr Trout

I mean north east. Gull river mouth. Ops

PMEmail Poster
MikeyLovesMuskies
Posted: Oct 11, 2018 - 09:04 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 14137

Unfortunately, Balsam is loaded with Pike. But from experience, when I usually land a pike and that smell and slime gets onto the lure, I usually catch a Musky after

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace