Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> downriggers, fixed or adjustable boom
Nicker87
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 09:45 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12390

I would definetly recommend the Scotty 1101(30" boom) for your 16' boat. I went with them for me 16' Stanley tiller cause they are easy to work with and easy to reach the clip when resetting and I've had zero issues with tangling or any other issues and my boat has a 72" beam if memory serves me right. They are also really powerful, bring a 10lb ball up in seconds. They came with almost everything you need except the wires and cannon balls, wait till they go on sale at cabelas and what you save should be enough to pay for those things.

As for your next question about fishfinders/gps I'd recommend Humminbird helix 7. Easy to use easy to read, and comes with the navionics card and doesn't break the bank.

PMEmail Poster
fire29
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 11:51 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16349

thanks for your response,
The Scotty 1101 30" boom is what I'm thinking but still on the fence between the 30 or 24, and as far as the helix 7, your bang on exactly what i have been looking at. Any thoughts on portable marine radio's?

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 03:35 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

QUOTE (fire29 @ Sep 28, 2018 - 11:51 am)
Any thoughts on portable marine radio's?

They are pretty much all made at the same factory so to speak, they all have to meet the same minimum standard for the electronics portion. Some with have better waterproofing and a couple of extra features. I don't know if you can pair the portable radios with GPS, an important feature if you're out in the big water. I started with a hand held, but they just don't have the power to go the distance. Do yourself a favour and get the full size one, price is pretty much the same. When it comes to antennas, don't buy anything short, 8' ones go the distance.

PM

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace