Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Native Status First Nation, Slot Size
Chinnys1
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 - 10:04 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15038

hey gang,

i am not first nation Status, but a friend of mine is, does anyone know if they have to obey by slot size?

i know there limit in hunting and fishing is different,

there is a 6 pack on the line here!

PMEmail Poster
Icehog
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 - 10:32 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7626

Wish I could help out but don't know. Please post once you find out.

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 - 11:23 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5705

I did a bit of googles a few months back when we were having a status friend join us on our bungalow trip. He wasn't super aware of the rules either, didn't fish much himself. He just went and bought a license like the rest of us.

What I found tho was... that person must be from geographical area in which they intend to fish/hunt and also must be in good standing with the native community.

If not, that person would have to seek permission from area elders in order to fish/hunt/etc on those lands/waters. Not so straight forward. If anything consulting native hierarchy or MNR would be best bet.

PM
sandybay
  Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 09:11 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 998

They have no limits in size or total.

Do I win a 6 pack

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 10:25 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Members of aboriginal communities, fishing outside their traditional or treaty area, must hold a valid fishing licence and follow the corresponding seasons, limits, slot sizes and gear restrictions...or...have written permission from a First Nation to fish within their treaty territory.
Straight from the Ontario fishing regulations.

PM
rpar82
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 10:45 am

Egg

Member No.: 5588

Tell your buddy to email Jeff McLeod at Nippissing first nation. We has helpful and informative.
Jeff Mcleod jeffm@nfn.ca

This is the email i was sent when inquiring about fishing there:

As you would be out of your Treaty Area you should request/obtain Inter Treaty Permission (Shipman Letter) from a First Nation in the Treaty Area you wish to harvest. We require a written request (email is fine) with the lake(s) you would like to harvest from, dates you wish to harvest and a copy of both sides of your status card. If there are any other First Nation family members you will be fishing with send their names and status cards also. We will review your request and if approved you will receive a letter to be carried by you while harvesting. If you need any other information feel free to contact me.

I indicated that I would be following the MNR regulations which I do wherever I fish. No issues and they send you a letter indicating permission to fish there. The Nippissing first nation are really trying to help restore the fishery. Unfortunately not everyone Aboriginal or not doesn't understand the need for conservation and keeping fisheries sustainable for future generations.

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 11:00 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

A good friend of mine is native and when he is fishing with me. He has the same rules as i do
That's what he told me ...tight lines ...

PMEmail Poster
atventure
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 01:23 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13515

I believe if the group is all 100% natives they have no rules but if there are any non-status individuals in their group they have to abide by their rules?

PMEmail Poster
Chinnys1
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 02:24 pm

Alevin

6 pack for you!

i will be up there next friday lol

seems answers are different, which is what i found, no clear answers when looking.

thank you all!

PMEmail Poster
rpar82
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 03:32 pm

Egg

Member No.: 5588

There is a clear answer. You friend needs the Shipman letter from the Nippising First Nation. Without getting permission to harvest from their traditional area he could risk trouble. Not aware what the consequences are but a few simple email to obtain the permission is worth the effort I would say.

PMEmail Poster
zarahloganfish
Posted: Feb 19, 2018 - 08:38 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 14948

They can do what they want were they want and keep what they want......

PMEmail Poster
swiftdeer
Posted: Feb 20, 2018 - 08:24 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11020

It was already stated above, but status First Nations may only hunt, trap, fish and gather within their treaty area. For example, if a status First Nation say from Nortwestern Ontario in treaty is visiting family and friends in the Nipissing area, they would have to seek permission from the local Chief. The Shipman letter would typically indicate the date, the species targeted, the number of species allowed to be harvested, the name of the visiting individual, their status number and home community. Their status card must be carried with the Shipman letter, otherwise a CO could charge them. The other thing that individual could do, is to simply get an outdoors card with valid license.

It's a common misconception that First Nations can harvest anywhere and whatever they like all across Canada/Ontario. They can only do so within their treaty areas and some communities have developed their own harvest guidelines indicating number of species that can be harvested.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

PMEmail Poster
Chinnys1
Posted: Feb 20, 2018 - 09:41 am

Alevin

Thanks for all the great replies!

He does have a proper license, and we were always planning on sticking to the rules, was more curious than anything else, and wanted a 6 pack.

thank you all!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace