Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Kawarthas - my first 2022 report (May 13/22), Pike (many), Crappie
Skippy
Posted: May 13, 2022 - 03:10 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12923

With the better than normal temperatures and some vacation days to use or lose, today was actually my 3rd outing on my kayak.

I wasnít expecting much in my previous outings and only managed 2 pike on my second trip.

With the warm weather and others reports, I expected today to be much better and it was!
Launched at 7:30am and it took me a bit to find them, but when I did the fishing was very good.

Started the day searching with a swim bait, but couldnít even get a nibble. Slowed down with a jerk bait and managed a couple of small pike, but the jerk bait I was using kept getting down into the weeds. The weeds were coming up leaving about 3 feet of open water. Started running a couple key baits in the open water ticking the weeds or pulling out of the weeds.

Best producer for numbers today was a Mepps Agila in line spinner size 4 in tri-colour.
I caught fewer numbers but a few better sized pike on a white curly tail grub (4 inch).

I did try throwing paddle tail swim baits and pikee spinnerbaits, but couldnít get bit on those today.

In total i boated about 25 pike - most in the 14-20 inch range with a couple that were in the 26-28inch range.
I also caught one oos largie and on my last cast of the day landed my PB crappie (I donít really fish for them). It hit on the Mepps spinner and I thought it was a bass until I got it in.

Off the water by 1:30pm. I will upload a couple of pics below.

Outstanding weather and calm waters - probably the nicest day of fishing Iíve had this early in the calendar.

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: May 13, 2022 - 03:12 pm

Smolt Trout

Pike pic - nothing huge today but entertaining

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: May 13, 2022 - 03:13 pm

Smolt Trout

Crappie on my last cast of the day

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2022 - 10:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

Nice going ! Lots of fish caught - that what matters !
Thanks for sharing !

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: May 14, 2022 - 01:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

That sure is a lot of fish caught in half a day, and a very nice crappie.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!