Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New to the big lake, Info on setting up a boat
Krawler
Posted: Nov 09, 2022 - 10:43 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 2268

Another inexpensive reel that i really like are the Shimano Tr200G. Great workhorse reel. Pair this with a TDR rod and you're all set. Go with 20 lb mono on your reels.

Let us know when you are ready to talk bait/lures.

PMEmail Poster
MooseKlr
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 07:48 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3640

Another newbie question...I'm guessing that i should install a VHF radio. Any thoughts on a model? Antenna? channels to monitor or use? I know nothing about these but thinking that if venturing off shore without a partner i should have one and not to rely on a cell phone dropped overboard.

PMEmail Poster
Krawler
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 09:18 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2268

I bought a handheld. Might not have the range to talk with fellow boaters/anglers but does the job for emergency purposes.
We monitor and chat 71 on the Bay.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 10:51 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (MooseKlr @ Nov 22, 2022 - 08:48 pm)
Another newbie question...I'm guessing that i should install a VHF radio. Any thoughts on a model? Antenna? channels to monitor or use? I know nothing about these but thinking that if venturing off shore without a partner i should have one and not to rely on a cell phone dropped overboard.

Most of the models have pretty much the same internal workings, it's only the outside that appears different. As for the antenna, don't cheap out, longer antennas give you a lot further coverage. Make the effort to get your radio operators licence. Radioworld is one of the best places to pick everything up you need for that. As for the antenna installation, keep it as far away from other electronics as you can, if your transducer is on one side of the boat, mount the antenna on the other side.

PM
RHYBAK
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 11:19 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

I have a BigJon Electric downrigger for sale if you wanted to strike a deal

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!