Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Midseason "Report", And some tips and tricks
Sterling
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 02:56 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9678

So I see the forum rules state "no details"... what's up with that? Anyway, hopefully this doesn't get me banned or whatever. I like to share spots/details. The lake is big and there's plenty of fish for everyone.

As with most years I have my shack stationed out in Callander Bay. I use navionics to pick out what I think will be a hot spot, but let's be honest, if you're in the bay, you'll get fish. One thing I've noticed is that deep water = bigger fish. This trend persists throughout the year but is especially pronounced in the summer. I was able to get keepers in 3/4 outings this summer in deep water.

We started off in about 12ft of water and had an okay start to the season. My wife and I are at the shack maybe 2-3 times a week and are now tied at 20 fish each. Guests of course always get dibs on set lines and the baby has 3 fish to her name as well (with some help from daddy). Pike in the shallower waters were too common and after 3 skunks in a ROW in late jan early feb, we decided to move into deeper water. So we moved west of the government docks in about 23 feet of water.

Anyway, I haven't used a flasher/finder, mostly because the baby requires too much attention. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that enjoys fishing as much as I do. We bring out the kid with us and she loves it out there.

No lures for us, set lines only. I use modified pickerel rigs, with one minnow about 1ft off bottom, and another 3ft up. I'm thinking of adding a third minnow and splitting them all 2ft apart. Maybe even go all-out and use 4 hooks total, spread out 18 inches each. This would give full coverage of the bottom 10ft, and hopefully attract the attention of most fish swimming by.

When I have the time I thread minnows and have found this to be most effective. With 8lb fluoro the entire presentation is nearly invisible as the hooks protrude from the minnow only slightly.

Speaking of hooking, I'm not sold on any particular hooking method aside from threading which is 100% superior. Tail hook gives more longevity and allows for the bait to swim around well. Back hook kills the minnow faster but loses fewer fish. Mouth hook might be the best method... if you can avoid them wiggling free.

For set lines, I like TALL tip-ups so that I can set the hook and bring in the line easily. Short tip-ups suck. If I can man the line, rod all the way. On tough days, I arrange the tip-up as to allow the fish to take line. And maybe it's just the perfectionist in me, but I prefer to arrange the tip-ups in a perfectly straight line. This allows you to see all lines easily. Also, I'm not sure if this makes any difference whatsoever, but I avoid running this line along the contour, but rather perpendicular to them as I theorize that fish will swim along contour lines and you're more likely to intercept a traveling fish by putting your lines on multiple contours.

BAIT wise, shiners all the way, although the wife and brother in law don't mind the occasional chub, which seem to work okay and live longer. I've trialed suckers, which live FOREVER (seriously, I threaded one, caught a couple fish on it, and it was still swimming around), but they're probably too big for walleye.

Anyway, that's it for my rant. Looking forward to the wisdom you guys might have.

PMEmail Poster
Paddy
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 03:43 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

Sick post. Thanks for the tips. Our turn is coming up.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 04:00 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

No offence but if you've been out that many times and only have 40 fish between the two of you, your locations and/or setup really aren't that great. My wife and I fished for two days late January and almost caught the same amount.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 04:03 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12683

I'm not sure without checking if their is a limit of multiple hook settings on a line.Its o.k. on a lure but wonder if its only two on a ling, anyone know?

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 04:17 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Sterling @ Feb 12, 2018 - 04:56 pm)
So I see the forum rules state "no details"... what's up with that? Anyway, hopefully this doesn't get me banned or whatever. I like to share spots/details.

Please read the complete rule regarding "no details" and you will see it is there to protect the resource, fishery and enviroment in sensitive times and/or areas. As far as sharing your spot feel free to let everyone know exactly where your hut is set up and what it looks like but don't blame the board when you cannot find your hut amongst the hundreds of others that are going to be set up all around it the next day. Not to say this would happen on Nipissing but it would definitely be the case on Simcoe and the board rules are there to cover all lakes in general. There are many people who just troll this site for such information, why spend the time trying to figure it out for yourself if others are going to give it up freely is their way of thinking and don't expect anything in return because it will not be coming. If you like to share/trade spots or details you can use the PM feature offered on here, that is what it is for.

As far a the rest of your post, no problem.

Thanks for your understanding.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 04:24 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (ldub @ Feb 12, 2018 - 06:00 pm)
No offence but if you've been out that many times and only have 40 fish between the two of you, your locations and/or setup really aren't that great. My wife and I fished for two days late January and almost caught the same amount.

Maybe he is talking about keepers

PMEmail Poster
FishinGuy
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 05:03 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3087

QUOTE (FatRap @ Feb 12, 2018 - 04:17 pm)
QUOTE (Sterling @ Feb 12, 2018 - 04:56 pm)
So I see the forum rules state "no details"... what's up with that? Anyway, hopefully this doesn't get me banned or whatever. I like to share spots/details.

Please read the complete rule regarding "no details" and you will see it is there to protect the resource, fishery and enviroment in sensitive times and/or areas. As far as sharing your spot feel free to let everyone know exactly where your hut is set up and what it looks like but don't blame the board when you cannot find your hut amongst the hundreds of others that are going to be set up all around it the next day. Not to say this would happen on Nipissing but it would definitely be the case on Simcoe and the board rules are there to cover all lakes in general. There are many people who just troll this site for such information, why spend the time trying to figure it out for yourself if others are going to give it up freely is their way of thinking and don't expect anything in return because it will not be coming. If you like to share/trade spots or details you can use the PM feature offered on here, that is what it is for.

As far a the rest of your post, no problem.

Thanks for your understanding.

I'd say 23 feet west of the gov docks is pretty generic...... that's a long a## contour line....

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 05:18 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Thanks Sterling for some of your insight. Good luck on the rest of the season.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 11:25 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (ldub @ Feb 12, 2018 - 04:00 pm)

No offense taken. The spot was selected mostly for convenience. Plus there's usually a nice road leading right to the shack. The road to my ice shack is nicer than the road to my house. Our outings are usually 90 minutes long, if that makes a difference.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 11:34 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (kenster @ Feb 12, 2018 - 04:03 pm)
I'm not sure without checking if their is a limit of multiple hook settings on a line.Its o.k. on a lure but wonder if its only two on a ling, anyone know?

You're allowed 4 hooks per line, at least in Ontario. A treble hook counts as a one hook.

Rigging hooks as I have described above is 100% legal and I have verified this directly with the MNR.

PMEmail Poster
Harryone
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 07:29 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 5463

Was always told 2 hook Max on nip .the Bay has good fish but never get the numbers we get on main lake .

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 08:07 am

Fry

Member No.: 14832

THanks for write up

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 08:08 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Harryone @ Feb 13, 2018 - 07:29 am)
Was always told 2 hook Max on nip .the Bay has good fish but never get the numbers we get on main lake .

Nope you're allowed 4 hooks per line.

If I had a choice I would fish the waltonian reef or perch flats but there just isn't the time for me to make that trek after work on time for the so-called witching hour.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace