Ľ Fishing Forum
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rainbows, Yesterday
1stdrift
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 - 06:24 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9278

Some bows from yesterday, big momma on top was massive....hope she gets to spawn out

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 - 08:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

nice bows...Ö.not liking the number of lamprey scars though

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Newburg007
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 - 08:48 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

QUOTE (Longshank @ Apr 11, 2019 - 08:02 pm)
nice bows...Ö.not liking the number of lamprey scars though

Fished last fall on G. Bay and found more lamprey and scares than normal for several previous years. Nasty cridders!

PMEmail Poster
outdoors4life
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 - 09:05 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16994

beauty bows! Just wish we weren't seeing this many lamprey scars though...

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 - 09:09 am

Smolt Trout

Thanks everyone

I havenít been able to get out as much this year but the 19 Iíve landed 3 had lamprey marks and seen them on others who landed around me ....Iíve been seeing more and more every year. I know they canít jump the ladders but if a bow or salmon makes it up with a lamprey will they spread in the rivers and creeks? Or do they need some kind of deep water?? 20 yrs ago I donít remember seeing much on salmon and trout.

2 out of the 19 were browns....lots of browns being caught this year

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Summer679
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 - 07:01 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12076

Hi Folks ,
when I was a teenager back in the 80's the MNR use to use Lamprecide in the creeks and rivers myself and my buddies fished . I'm not sure if due to budget they know longer do this or is it not environmentally friendly to put the stuff into our waterways ? It seemed to work very well and it was unusual to see fish with lamprey scars . On a number of occasions last summer the salmon and trout that we caught had live lampreys attached or fresh scars on them. It definitely seems to be getting worse. As teenagers my buddies and myself use to go out to the creeks when the lampreys spawned and I believe that would be in mid may to June and we would walk the creeks looking for them in the shallows and when we spotted them we would snare them and kill them . As teenagers we seemed to take great delight in this . Maybe it's time to start do this again . Does anybody know if they still use Lamprecide? It would be nice to see the ministry do something to address this issue .
Jay

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Apr 13, 2019 - 10:28 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6517

Some nice fish there keep up the good work.

Any lice on the gills? Apparently lots on lake have lice in the gills as well as lamprey scars.

PMEmail Poster
Deranger
Posted: Apr 13, 2019 - 09:23 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2264

DFO has lamprey control crews that still go out every summer and lampricide about 200 Great Lakes tributaries on both sides of the border. They are also controlled through trapping.

I have heard that the majority of lamprey reproduction is now in the larger connecting channels like the Detroit River, Niagara River, etc. These larger rivers can't be treated as effectively as the smaller tributary streams.

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Apr 13, 2019 - 10:35 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 939

Nice haul. I haven't seen many fish with any of those marks. Maybe 1 in 15 that i can remember. A rarity in my area.

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Apr 15, 2019 - 07:48 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Summer679 @ Apr 12, 2019 - 07:01 pm)
Hi Folks ,
                      when I was a teenager back in the 80's the MNR use to use Lamprecide  in the creeks and rivers myself and my buddies fished . I'm not sure if due to budget they know longer do this or is it not environmentally friendly to put the stuff into our waterways ? It seemed to work very well and it was unusual to see fish with lamprey scars . On a number of occasions last summer the salmon and trout that we caught had live lampreys attached or fresh scars on them.  It definitely seems to be  getting worse. As teenagers my buddies and myself use to go out to the creeks when the lampreys spawned and I believe that would be in mid may to June and we would walk the creeks looking for them in the shallows and when we spotted them we would snare them and kill them . As teenagers we seemed to take great delight in this . Maybe it's time to start do this again . Does anybody know if they still use Lamprecide? It would be nice to see the ministry do something to address this issue .
Jay

I would participate in something like this in May or June and try and find some and kill them while there spawning. If we can put something togather like this and maybe get some out of the creeks and rivers and even make a little difference would be cool.

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Apr 15, 2019 - 05:17 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8485

Be careful what youíre killing in the rivers. For example, the bronte creek, usually a bit after trout opener, has spawning brook lamprey, a non- anadromous, non - carnivorous lamprey, of what use they are, im not sure, but Mother Nature seems to have a use for most everything

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace