Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> shotgun choke stuck
poidy
  Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 06:19 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4591

Hey guys not sure where to go for this post, have a Berratta semi auto shotgun with screw in chokes, well went to take the choke out, she be stuck, finally got in unscrewed, but still stuck, the choke inself a little burred from the tool twisting it out, I really dont want to damanged internal threads of the barrel, any thoughts or off to gunsmith at Tramblys, glad I got extra shotguns, but luv my berratta, thanks for your input, this has never happen before, dont know what happen to stick that choke in there?

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Orangebucket2
Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 07:29 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14719

file/sand off the burrs on the choke ....if it is still sticking then give it and gun a good cleaning....if it is still sticking, try a different choke, if that works you need a new choke, if it sticks, off to the gunsmith you got big problems.

OB

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 07:44 am

Trophy Trout

yes I have extra full choke, just want to get in out, went sufing, seen these tips and vids also, some of the vids on you tube a lil radical, but the tips from this link might do the job hopefully, will see next weekend was not sure of heat as did not want to ruin the blueing etc, barrel is off so no hame to wood, if use penetrate
https://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/hunt...sort=votes_desc

ajs
Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 07:44 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8630

Been there and done that. Messed up the end of the barrel and
it cost a lot. I would take it in to Robby Wise on Hwy 11 just south of Gravenhurst. He will sort it out and save you money in the long run. Hes the best gunsmith north of Toronto...and hes local, and hands on.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 07:49 am

Trophy Trout

yup know Rob, he fixed a few of my guns, going to try the hot soap water, dont think that can hurt my barrel to much, then clean those inside threads, hopefully not hurt, I heard this happens in time over powder getting into them threads? got this Berratta years ago A301 modle with gold trigger, she been very good to me for years, they were chap back then, now a few bucks lol

sabmgb
Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 09:54 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15901

This is why I always grease the tubes before putting them in. I never did this before, but I friend had the same problem with choke stuck. I immediately started greasing the chokes with the proper grease.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 10:22 am

Trophy Trout

Ya now i know always oiled or WD 40 though, never a issue til now...will be greasin' for sure after this issue, only gun I own with multiple chokes

Attached Image

fatboy4me
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 07:57 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2504

Try spraying Seafoam deep creep down the barrel, and let it sit for a while. This has worked for me. x2 on the grease when reinstalling the choke tube.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 08:45 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

lubing is good at a minimum but those chokes need to be loosen and/or removed regularly. Those tight threads are easy to seize if left to long.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
  Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 08:11 am

Trophy Trout

yes, I learned my lesson, will try the Seafoam/pentraiting oil, because it is out past the threads now, still tight though, I will put barrell choke end into cup of the stuff for a bit, see what happens hopefully not tarnich the blueing? thnak you all for the tips, if that no work off to Robs

poidy
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 07:07 am

Trophy Trout

just a update on that choke, went up to see Robe Wise Wise Choice, he has seen it before from using steel shells, I guess the tolerances in the barrel and threads with steel is a bit much, hopefully he can get that out, as I did get it out past the threads but he has a tool that can do the job better then I...

poidy
  Posted: Oct 16, 2018 - 10:45 am

Trophy Trout

all fixed, all good, fast and reasonable service, he be very good to us over the years Wise Choice indeed! Luv that Beretta, Dad got me that back in the 80s, fits me so well...

richyb
Posted: Oct 16, 2018 - 06:36 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 987

I had one get stuck in my stoeger. Epps got mine out for me. Steel shot expanded the cheap choke that same with the gun. I ordered a carlsons choke and its been fine ever since.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace