Fishing Forum
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Northern Huron, Looking for info
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 17, 2018 - 06:45 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11890

I'm heading up to Brennan Harbour Resort a week from Monday and was wondering if anyone has been out in that area of Huron recently. How is the smallmouth/largemouth action recently? What about the walleye action?
I'm not looking for specific spots, just general info on depths where fish seem to be holding and what type of structure. I'll be there for 4 nights and the long range forecast looks pretty good....cooler temps and not much precipitation.
Thanks in advance.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 01:26 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

I haven't been to Brennan but you can find quite a few older reports at

Good luck.

No links to other forums permitted.

This post has been edited by Bayliner on Aug 20, 2018 - 09:40 am

PMEmail Poster
The Ref
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 05:57 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9746

Hawk- I will be up there as well. Not staying at Brennans but in the general area. I have found that at this time of year the walleye are on the humps in the main part of the North Channel. Navionics is a must. I troll over a few humps with perch coloured crankbaits or worm harnesses till I find one that is holding fish.

There is a lot of structure out of Brennans so it isn't difficult to find that. It's just finding the humps that are holding fish.

As for bass I haven't targeted them before. Sorry.

Best of luck on the North Channel. Beautiful part of the province.

Ref

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:03 am

Lunker Trout

Thanks Chuck. Looks like I have some good reading for after work today!!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 06:05 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (The Ref @ Aug 20, 2018 - 06:57 am)
Hawk- I will be up there as well. Not staying at Brennans but in the general area. I have found that at this time of year the walleye are on the humps in the main part of the North Channel. Navionics is a must. I troll over a few humps with perch coloured crankbaits or worm harnesses till I find one that is holding fish.

There is a lot of structure out of Brennans so it isn't difficult to find that. It's just finding the humps that are holding fish.

As for bass I haven't targeted them before. Sorry.

Best of luck on the North Channel. Beautiful part of the province.

Ref

Appreciate the info Ref. I will be trying my hand at some Eyes during the week, so this really helps.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 10:37 am

Lunker Trout

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I didn't arrive until late yesterday afternoon. When I did arrive, the wind was just starting to pick up a bit and James (the owner here) suggested that I not launch my boat just yet. There were storms due in that night and it was going to get really rough. Man, he wasn't kidding. The storms woke me twice during the night and the wind right now is howling at 20-30kph directly into the bay where the lodge is located and the bay looks like chocolate milk. It's supposed to lay down this evening for the rest of the week, so I'll launch around 2 or 3pm and look for some clean water.

I'm not expecting a lot of success on this part of the trip, so whatever I can scare up from the depths is going to be a bonus. Hopefully those storms didn't affect the Western Arm for when I get there Friday afternoon.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 06:18 pm

Lunker Trout

Well, the afternoon turned out to be pretty good. I managed to spend almost 2 hours on an island point and caught 5 fair-sized smallies and jumped off 3 others. The wind has really died down this evening and supposed to be light and variable in the morning so looking forward to some topwater action. The muddy area outside of the resort has really cleared up as well.
I'm a happy camper now!!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 06:54 pm

Lunker Trout

Another day on the water. I wasn't exactly killing them today though. One smallie and one hammer handle pike landed, plus a 3+ pound smallie jumped off at the boat while I was reaching for the net. With the severe storms the past 2 nights and the cold front arriving today, no one here was doing much of anything other than drowning minnows and worms.

Tomorrow's another day!!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 03:51 pm

Lunker Trout

The day didn't start off very well. I had to get a jump start this morning. I motored around for a while to give the battery a bit of a charge and went to my fav spot. After nothing for an hour, I decided to venture to a new location. Battery said "NO". So I had to be rescued by the resort owner. Took a trip to Elliott Lake for a new battery and lunch.
When I got the battery installed, I figured I'd start at my fav location again. Man, was I ever glad I made that decision. In 2.5 hours, I caught 11 good sized smallies but landed 9 (another net fumble!!). One of the lost fish could easily push 4lb. My biggest that was landed was 3.65lb pictured here.
I'll be leaving here in the morning heading for Memquisit Lodge on the French. Can't wait for the second session!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 04:10 pm

Lunker Trout

Sorry, I keep getting an error message when I try to upload JPG file, so the pic is missing in action!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace