Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Fishing Forum
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Big bass are feeding!, *** NEW PICS ADDED
npetersen
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:09 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

I don't have time to write as many posts as I use to but figured it was time for an update. Summer was tougher fishing than usual with the high temperatures but as locals, we managed to boat at least some fish every trip out. We have our "go to" spots when things are slow, and when pike and bass don't want to bite, we can usually find some willing perch that do.

Typically we would be on vacation last week but since we are self employed and shop owners, it's hard to do so. It's strange living in the area we use to come to vacation, but don't get me wrong, I love it! Since the weather was so beautiful last week, we decided to make the most of it and were on the water every day from Wednesday to Sunday. It won't be long before the days get much cooler and we will be bundling up so last week was quite a treat.

Wednesday was a quick fish after work, getting on the river around 6pm. We were fishing 3.5" plastic gobies on a drop shot and getting lots of nibbles but no hookups. When we reeled in, there were hundreds of yearling perch following the bait. No mater where we cast, always a cloud of perch following. Knowing big fish hang around where there are lots of little fish, we were patient and hoped for the best. Next thing I hear Glenn's drag screaming! Right on! After about a 5 minute fight, he was still not able to get the fish anywhere near to the surface and then it came unhooked.

I still hadn't hooked a fish yet as all the perch were too small to get the bait in their mouth and after Glenn's fight, he must have disturbed everyone and no fish wanted to play. We moved on to anther spot and although slow, we enjoyed a nice sunset. On the last few casts, I decided to switch it up to a spinnerbait and then as soon as the bait hit the water, Fish On! A nice fight and a 3.5-4 lb largemouth comes in the boat. Yay, a nice fish to end the evening and keep the skunk off me.

On Thursday we planned for our help to look after the shop from 2:30 to close to enjoy another beautiful day on the river. Fishing was slow and after trying a few spots I said to Glenn that I wanted to try a certain spot since I had a feeling I might get a good fish. Once we get there and get settled, Wham, rod is bent and big fish on! After a great fight I bring in the first 5lber of the season! Continuing on the same drift, I hooked into another nice fish and battle it for a while. I see a 4lb bass on the end of the line and then a quick jump and he's off. We continued to catch a few more 3 lbers and few snot rockets and then called it a day. We haven't found any big pike lately but they should start feeding soon.

On Friday we had promised a local that we would take him out on the river to fish from the boat. We met him while fishing the docks in town in the fall and spring while the boat was not in the water. He is a "special" person and likes to fish so didn't mind doing this good deed. He has only been on the water on the big tour boats so being in a smaller boat was a little frightening for him at first until he got use to it. Getting on plane was the worst part for him since the nose goes up and you don't see anything in front of you until you level off.

At the first spot we got into nibbles right away but he wasn't quick enough on the hookset. I managed to hook an 11" perch though so we were on fish. We kept getting nibbles but no other hookups so moved on to another spot. He was amazed at all the nice cottages that were on the islands. We also had a group of 6 swans come fairly close so he enjoyed that. Next spot produced some more nibbles and he finally hooked into a nice perch. It was another slow day fishing so only managed one more perch for him before having to return him to the docks.

Saturday was again a great day and very calm on the water. We tried a few spots and was still slow so decided to return to the big bass spot from the other day. It didn't disappoint and produced a nice 4lb smallmouth at the end of the first drift. Might have been the one that got off the other day? Lots more fish caught but they were all on the small side.

The final day of our fishing marathon was another beautiful day and the fishing was great too. Again, headed back to the big bass spot and another 5lber does not disappoint! Glenn had a good fish on as well but got unhooked before we could see it. Trying to locate some pike, we try and fish some weedlines and then Glenn gets a good hookup! A good fight and finally get it to the surface and it was a muskie! It was not a huge one but still nice to hook into and had some beautiful spotted colouring. It's the first muskie we have caught in a couple of years so nice to see.

Even though we didn't have a vacation, it certainly felt like it with so many days in a row on the water! It was amazing to enjoy the last few days of summer with such great weather.

Keep on fishing!!

First 5 lber...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:10 am

World Record Trout

Largie from Wednesday night saved the skunk...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:11 am

World Record Trout

4 lber...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:18 am

World Record Trout

Second 5 lber...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:19 am

World Record Trout

Vertical hold of same fish...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:20 am

World Record Trout

Glenn's muskie...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:21 am

World Record Trout

Visiting swans...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 11:37 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

Sounds like a great way to say goodbye to summer Nicole! Glad the business is keeping you busy even if it does interfere with the fishing.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 01:07 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Great report Nicole, good to hear you managed to put a mini vacation together and get out for some fishing before the nice weather is gone. I see you haven't lost your touch for hooking into some big bass, some beauties in those pictures Good thing Glenn managed to hook into that musky or he would have been left out of your post

Glad to hear business is good and that you are loving life in your new home

Good luck on the fall pike fishing and I am sure that there will be more impressive bass pictures to come this fall........tight lines.

PMEmail Poster
stevepod
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 02:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9154

Nice lookin fish!!

PMEmail Poster
FishingChef
Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 07:21 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15394

Wow!!! Beautiful fish...congrats

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Sep 21, 2018 - 08:25 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Thank-you for the fantastic report. Very enjoyable read..

Felt like I was there..

Well done on the big beautiful bass.. Those are tanks! I want one.. LOL

Also very nice muskie. Love the pattern. It looks like a mix bwt a spotted muskie and barred muskie..

Sounds like a great time and good for you taking a newbie out fishing and as for the big fish that got away...... Well I am still thinking about it.

Yes work and life gets in the way of fishing and good times..

But you live in paradise, love that town and area.

Cheers & happy fishing.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Sep 23, 2018 - 10:17 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Very nice looking catch. great job. Nice report.

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 12:24 pm

World Record Trout

Picked up a few nice fish on Sunday, a 14" perch and another 4 lb bass. I released both of these fish but kept 4 perch that were 11" - 13"

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 12:25 pm

World Record Trout

And the bass...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace